What's the trick to make Ethernet work on an HP 2100TN printer?

Old September 8th 13, 08:35 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Default What's the trick to make Ethernet work on an HP 2100TN printer?

Misha wrote:
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 06:09:27 +0000, Misha wrote:

So, I must not be specifying the printer address correctly.
Or, it's the wrong button to check in the printer control panel applet.

Going back to the web browser URL to the printer, after installing
Java on WinXP, and, after agreeing to an ominous warning:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2hdsgue.jpg

I now see that the web browser communicates just fine
with the printer.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2eam1cz.jpg

I think I'm close.

I just don't know how to tell WinXP explicitly what the
printer name is that is attached to the router.

And, Windows XP doesn't know how to find that printer which
is connected to the router by a similar wire that it is.

I do have a Win7 machine handy on the same network (wirelessly
though), so I'll see what the magic name might be from Windows 7
standpoints.

Hi,
Windows have Help and Support built-in. Why not give a keyword like
"how to add network printer on LAN?" and see what happens. You don't
have to give the printer fixed IP, you can let the DHCP server on the
router get one. Think networked printer. On linux, same thing. I have
Canon MP990 WiFi connected to network on a router for various OS and
all is working fine. Can you ping the printer? Can you do ipconfig /all
and ipconfig /renew from XP machine?
Old September 8th 13, 08:48 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:06:18 +0000, Misha wrote:

http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg
Whew! That was *not* intuitive!

Well, if I had originally thought it was unintuitive getting
Windows XP to print to a newly home-ethernetted HP 2100 TN printer,
I spoke before I got Linux to print to the same printer (wirelessly):
http://i41.tinypic.com/4vifwi.png

Here's the sequence for Linux to get a printer hooked
to a home broadband router:
http://i42.tinypic.com/rjl37s.jpg

Now, the WinXP machine, hard wired to the router, can print to the
printer (also hard wired to the router); while the Linux laptop
wirelessly connected to the router can also print to that networked
printer.

Success at last!
Thanks for all your help!

Old September 8th 13, 09:02 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general
Misha

Just in case others need this, here is the sequence that finally worked
to be able to print to a networked printer for my first time, using
Windows XP and Linux (on deck is Windows 7 and Android).

0. Connect HP 2100TN printer ethernet to your home broadband router.
2. Configure Windows XP (also wired to the router) to print to it:
http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg
3. Configure Linux (wirelessly connected to the router) to print to it:
http://i42.tinypic.com/rjl37s.jpg

Since this was all hunt-and-peck, I post these to help others and for
folks (who actually know what they're doing) to tell me whether I could
have configured WinXP and Linux an easier way to print to a networked
printer.

Next on deck are Windows 7 and Android ...

Old September 8th 13, 11:11 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 08:02:11 +0000, Misha wrote:

Next on deck are Windows 7 and Android ...

It wasn't intuitive, but, I was able to set up the printer
to print to the networked printer from all three platforms
(except Android):

Windows XP == http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg
Windows 7 == http://i40.tinypic.com/2hoba78.jpg
Linux == http://i40.tinypic.com/2r4ika8.jpg

If anyone has a clue how to print using Android on WiFi,
please let me know as I don't know where to start.

Old September 8th 13, 12:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
David H. Lipman

From: "Misha"

In another thread, I mentioned a friend gave me a printer.
Here is a picture of the HP LaserJet 2100TN hooked up at my house:
http://i42.tinypic.com/kxq9t.gif

The friend had it on AppleTalk (Macintosh), but I'm Windows
and Linux (XP and Ubuntu).

I plugged the printer into the router by the ethernet cable, and
rebooted. Nothing happened on the WinXP PC connected to the same
router by ethernet cable. Nothing happened on the Ubuntu laptop
connected wirelessly by the same cable. Nor on the Android phone.

Probably I need drivers, but, when I went to the HP support page,
they had tons of drivers. But which one is the one needed to enable
the WinXP PC (and the other PCs connected wirelessly to the router)
to see the printer?
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ro52ty.gif

Which of those drivers will make the ethernet work?
1. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 5e Printer Driver
2. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 Printer Driver
3. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 5e point and print bundles
4. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 point and print bundles
5. 3 - HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5
6. HP Printer Administrator Resource Kit

Or is there another trick to making the printer show up to
Windows XP? (The workgroup is "HOME" for the WinXP PC.)

Printer drivers are completely independent of Ethernet. They are the language of the
printer and will allow the printer to properly render what is desired to be printed.

PS = PostScript and will use an associated PPD file.
PCL = Printer Control Language
PCL5 = Printer Control Language version 5
PCL6 = Printer Control Language version 6

A HP printer may use an embedded or extenally attached JetDirect "Print Server".
It will conform to Telnet (TCP port 23), HTTP (TCP port 80) and to TCP raw printing @ TCP
port 9100

Telnet and HTTP can be used to configure the HP JetDirect.

External HP JetDirect Print Servers (Ex: 200m, 300x and 310x) have a "reset" button that
will cause the JetDirect to reset it settings and it will then seek a new IP address via
DHCP such as from a SOHO Router. Once the HP JetDirect gets an IP from a SOHO Router, one
can query the Router's DHCP assignments and get the IP address that was assigned to the HP
JetDirect.

Printers with Internal JetDirects (Ex: 600n, 610n and 615n) can be setup by the printer
using the buttons, menu and the printer's LCD display.

Once the printer has a DHCP assigment you can use Telnet or HTTP to configure the printer
such as for SNMP, Banner Page, Static or Dynamic IP, Access Lists or turn off un-needed
protocols (Ex: DLC/LLC and IPX/SPX).
NOTE: It is easier to work with HP JetDirects using a static IP address.

Once the JetDirect is configured, you can setup a TCP/IP port Assignment to print to.

Use of the HP Install Network Printer Wizard (INPW) software can help automate the
process on Windows, including the setup of the JetDirect because it communicates with the
JetDirect based upon the MAC address and all HP JetDirects use a standard MAC address
preamble.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old September 8th 13, 12:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general
SC Tom

"Misha" wrote in message
e...
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 08:02:11 +0000, Misha wrote:

Next on deck are Windows 7 and Android ...

It wasn't intuitive, but, I was able to set up the printer
to print to the networked printer from all three platforms
(except Android):

Windows XP == http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg
Windows 7 == http://i40.tinypic.com/2hoba78.jpg
Linux == http://i40.tinypic.com/2r4ika8.jpg

If anyone has a clue how to print using Android on WiFi,
please let me know as I don't know where to start.

This works with HP printers, but I couldn't get it to work with my
neighbor's Brother:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hp.android.print&hl=en

I use it on my Asus Memo to print to my HP with no problems.

I haven't tried this yet, but might be worth a shot:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.threebirds.easyviewer&hl=en

You also might try comp.mobile.android for other Android inquiries. It's a
pretty decent group.
--
SC Tom

Old September 8th 13, 03:16 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Hot-Text[_5_]

"Misha" wrote in message
e...
[...]

Printer Driver are on the HP Printer Software
just install it.......

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...SeriesId=25469

Software - Universal Print Driver Description Current version Size (MB)HP Printer Administrator Resource Kit 1.7.3
2 Aug 2013 16.9 56K: 41m
512K: 4m

Old September 8th 13, 04:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware
Tony Hwang

Misha wrote:
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:06:18 +0000, Misha wrote:

http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg
Whew! That was *not* intuitive!

Well, if I had originally thought it was unintuitive getting
Windows XP to print to a newly home-ethernetted HP 2100 TN printer,
I spoke before I got Linux to print to the same printer (wirelessly):
http://i41.tinypic.com/4vifwi.png

Here's the sequence for Linux to get a printer hooked
to a home broadband router:
http://i42.tinypic.com/rjl37s.jpg

Now, the WinXP machine, hard wired to the router, can print to the
printer (also hard wired to the router); while the Linux laptop
wirelessly connected to the router can also print to that networked
printer.

Success at last!
Thanks for all your help!

Hi,
You use Ubuntu? I use Ubuntu and Mist Linux. Ubuntu is good but they
charge for some apps. My router is ASUS RT-AC66U, Synology NAS
DS713+/DX213 combo. Network has Wired devices thru a GBe switch XP pro,
W7 Ult., W8 Pro, Linux. Mac OS X sharing Canon MP990 WiFi printer. I
monitor my PV solar panel array connected to the router as well.
Coming winter project is adding WiFi video surv. cameras tothe NAS.
Old September 8th 13, 06:57 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:43:12 -0400, SC Tom wrote:

try comp.mobile.android for other Android inquiries.

Hmmmm..... there is no comp.mobile.android on my newsserver.

Old September 8th 13, 08:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:18:11 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

PS = PostScript and will use an associated PPD file.
PCL = Printer Control Language PCL5 = Printer Control Language version 5
PCL6 = Printer Control Language version 6

I always wonder which is the one to use, since all of them work,
and I have no need for more than one.

Which would you use?