HP LaserJet 2100TN: What is a fuser and would it be possible tofix?

Old September 8th 13, 03:12 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
micky

Default HP LaserJet 2100TN: What is a fuser and would it be possible to fix?

On 07 Sep 2013 21:23:55 GMT, Misha wrote:

My friend is willing to give me his B&W laser printer:
HP LaserJet 2100TN

It still works but he says it does not print as dark as it used to.
Here is what he says.

Do you think, based on this, that the fuser is bad?

I thought the fuser was the heater that melted the ink particles so
they became liquid ink and stuck to the page. Tony seems to say the
same thing.

When the fuser isn't working the ink comes out llike dust on the paper
and you can shake it off or blow it off. When the fuser isn't
working at all what you get looks like a blank sheet of paper. I
sort of think it's not possible for the fuser to be working but not
well so that it gives a light image.

When I had a laser photocopier, made around 1978, the thermostat on
the fuser was broken, and like I said, it looked like the page had
printed, but all the ink fell off when I took the paper out of the
tray, or blew off when I blew on it.

I have a B&W laser printer and it's nice that there are no little
holes to clog or dry out. And that if I don't use it for weeks or
months, it's still the same.

Mine has two settings, light and regular. Maybe yours is set wrong.
Mine has gotten a little lighter lately, but I haven't investigated
it. After it wears out or when it needs more toner, I'll switch to my
dentist's printer. It was out in the hall waiting for the janitor to
throw it away when I came for an appointment a year or two ago. They
said it worked fine, but they were upgrading the computer etc.

There is a whole printer newsgroup that was good last time I had a
printer question. Oh, I see you included it, comp.periphs.printers .

Here is what my friend wrote me just now:

Hi Misha,
Do you want my HP LaserJet 2100TN? It works ok but prints light.

I’m guessing the fuser would need to be replaced if you want it to print
dark although a new toner cartridge might also work. The printer says it
has printed 37k pages and the fuser has a life expectancy of 150k pages
so there is definitely life left in it. I was considering replacing the
fuser myself – you can buy fusers for about $30 and they are very easy to
replace on this model. But it just doesn’t make sense for me to invest
in this printer any longer

It has had the occasional paper jam but otherwise it has been great. It
has two trays that hold about 500 pages each, 24MB of memory, and a
Ethernet port. I still have some toner cartridges left but I don’t know
how much toner is in them.

Old September 8th 13, 05:08 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 02:22:21 +0000, Tegger wrote:

The old LJ II and III printers used to have problems with the density
board that led to light printing. Would the OP's machine have a density
board?

I have no idea *what* a density board is.
My friend had appletalk; is that the same thing?

Here is a picture of the HP LaserJet 2100TN hooked up at my house:
http://i42.tinypic.com/kxq9t.gif

I plugged it into the router by the ethernet cable, but, nothing
happened on the WinXP PC connected to the same router by ethernet
cable.

Probably I need drivers, but, when I went to the HP support page,
they had tons of drivers. But which one is the one needed to enable
the WinXP PC (and the other PCs connected wirelessly to the router)
to see the printer?
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ro52ty.gif

Which of these drivers will make the ethernet work?
1. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 5e Printer Driver
2. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 Printer Driver
3. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 5e point and print bundles
4. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 point and print bundles
5. 3 - HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5
6. HP Printer Administrator Resource Kit

And, which of those makes the scanner part work?

Old September 8th 13, 05:36 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Misha

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 18:28:47 -0400, Fred McKenzie wrote:

I found a service manual at
http://www.lbrty.com/tech/Manuals_HP/2100sm.pdf.

Nice find! Wow. Very gracious of you. I love it!
Thanks.

For starters, page 45 showed me how to print the test page
from the "Go" button, and, guess what?

The results sure look dark enough to me!
http://i40.tinypic.com/eb3mnq.gif

So, now all I need to do is figure out how to network it,
by reading chapter 3 "Networking", page 54. I'll open a
separate thread on networking, if I have problems, after
reading the document.

Old September 8th 13, 06:21 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Eddie Powalski

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 18:28:47 -0400, Fred McKenzie wrote:

I found a service manual at
http://www.lbrty.com/tech/Manuals_HP/2100sm.pdf. Its troubleshooting
section may be helpful.

Hi Fred,
Do you have a similar service manual for an HP LaserJet 3200m?

Old September 8th 13, 06:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Tony

Misha wrote:
[...]

I may have inadvertently misled you. The scanner I referred to is the one that
is part of the print engine, the LJ2100 does not scan documents.
I assume there is a JetDirect card in the printer, if not you will need to
either add one or use a print server if you want to network the printer over
Ethernet.
Tony

Old September 8th 13, 06:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 00:30:51 -0500, Tony wrote:

I assume there is a JetDirect card in the printer, if not you will need
to either add one or use a print server if you want to network the
printer over Ethernet.

I had never heard of a "JetDirect", but, clearly the printer has
an ethernet port as shown in this picture below:
http://i43.tinypic.com/1oosug.gif

Also, the test pages that printed show under "General Information"
1. HP JETDIRECT = J3110A
2. PORT SELECT = 10BASET
3. I/O CARD = READY
4. SNMP SET CMTY NAME = NONE
5. TCP/IP STATUS = READY

Old September 8th 13, 07:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Tony

Misha wrote:
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 00:30:51 -0500, Tony wrote:

I assume there is a JetDirect card in the printer, if not you will need
to either add one or use a print server if you want to network the
printer over Ethernet.

I had never heard of a "JetDirect", but, clearly the printer has
an ethernet port as shown in this picture below:
http://i43.tinypic.com/1oosug.gif

Also, the test pages that printed show under "General Information"
1. HP JETDIRECT = J3110A
2. PORT SELECT = 10BASET
3. I/O CARD = READY
4. SNMP SET CMTY NAME = NONE
5. TCP/IP STATUS = READY

Ah good, then Ethernet connection should be possible.
Tony

Old September 8th 13, 11:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 01:45:50 -0500, Tony wrote:

Ethernet connection should be possible.

It wasn't intuitive, but, I was able to set up the printer
to print to the networked printer from all three platforms
(except Android):

Windows XP == http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg
Windows 7 == http://i40.tinypic.com/2hoba78.jpg
Linux == http://i40.tinypic.com/2r4ika8.jpg

If anyone has a clue how to print using Android on WiFi,
please let me know as I don't know where to start.

Old September 8th 13, 11:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware
CRNG

On 08 Sep 2013 10:11:00 GMT, Misha wrote in
Re HP LaserJet
2100TN: What is a fuser and would it be possible to fix?:

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 01:45:50 -0500, Tony wrote:

Ethernet connection should be possible.

It wasn't intuitive, but, I was able to set up the printer
to print to the networked printer from all three platforms
(except Android):

Windows XP == http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg
Windows 7 == http://i40.tinypic.com/2hoba78.jpg
Linux == http://i40.tinypic.com/2r4ika8.jpg

If anyone has a clue how to print using Android on WiFi,
please let me know as I don't know where to start.

Well done. I like your use of the above .jpgs.

LaserJet 2100TN: Drivers and Fonts Searcher7 Printers 25 November 29th 07 04:43 PM
HP LaserJet 2100TN grabs multiple sheets of paper Dan Lenski Printers 4 May 11th 07 10:10 PM
Laserjet 4Plus Fuser gav425 Printers 5 September 23rd 05 07:51 PM
Need to turn off fuser HP Laserjet 4L. mike Printers 5 November 16th 04 12:24 AM
Laserjet 6L fuser error [email protected] Printers 2 July 8th 03 08:14 AM