Good RAID for New Desktop Machine?

Old April 7th 08, 11:47 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Doug White

Default Good RAID for New Desktop Machine?

I need to get a new desktop machine, and I'm planning on getting a card
to support RAID mirroring in case of a disk crash. My wife has a 6 month
old Dell that she bought with some brand of card & 2 drives, but Dell
didn't install the card. We discovered that the first thing the card
wants to do is reformat your primary drive, which is absurd. We sent it
back and got a card from Promise. It took a few tech support calls to
get it installed & working properly. Even now, it wants to go to the
setup menu every time you boot.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good RAID card? I'd like to get
one that is reliable, and won't trash the primary (or remaining good)
drive if something crashes. I've read too many horror stories of RAID
systems that do stuff like reformatting the good drive when a bad drive
is replaced & other such nonsense.

I'll be using this with XP Pro, so Vista isn't an issue.

Thanks!

Doug White
Old April 8th 08, 12:31 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Doug White:

[...]

For a desktop/home machine you could also consider using the built in
software RAID capabilities of XP. You can definitely build a RAID
starting from an existing disk with data on it and there won't be any
noticable difference in performance.

--

Joerg Lenneis

email:
Old April 8th 08, 03:43 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Bob Willard

Doug White wrote:
[...]

With RAID-1 (mirroring) you still should do regular backups. RAID-1
only protects against failure of a HD, and supplies no protection
against failures of any other piece of hardware, or glitches due to
software or environment or fumble-fingers. IMHO, since the HD is one
of the most reliable pieces of a PC, RAID-1 has very little value
for a home.
--
Cheers, Bob
Old April 8th 08, 05:31 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Doug White wrote:
[...]

Stay away from Adaptec. 3ware has a good reputation, but
the cards are not cheap. Also Linux software RAID is very
reliable, but not applicable in your case.

Arno
Old April 9th 08, 09:44 AM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Maxim S. Shatskih

With RAID-1 (mirroring) you still should do regular backups. RAID-1
only protects against failure of a HD, and supplies no protection
against failures of any other piece of hardware, or glitches due to
software or environment or fumble-fingers.

For me, most of the on-mobo RAIDs are notorious for such glitches, which
sometimes kill all disks.

So, probably they actually decrease reliability and not increase it.

Backups are the way to go.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

Old April 9th 08, 04:10 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Cydrome Leader

In comp.arch.storage Arno Wagner wrote:
[...]

can you name a single problem with an adaptec 2420SA?
Old April 9th 08, 05:52 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Cydrome Leader wrote:
[...]

I can name you a lot with the 2410SA. Non-functional
commandline-interface that does not allow any automatisation.
Keeps dropping drives. Takes forever to resync. No SMART support
despite claims to the contrary. Incompetent technical support.

Expensive trash.

Arno
Old April 9th 08, 07:53 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Cydrome Leader

[...]

never had a drive drop or resync problems, and i've intentionally broken
arrays by yanking out the sata cables on a live system.

what firmware versions are you running?

Old April 9th 08, 08:57 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

[...]

As this thing was unusable and I had to get the storage running,
it has been disposed of by now, I expect. I bought it 4 years
ago.

Arno
Old April 9th 08, 09:18 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Eric Gisin

"Arno ****Up" wrote in message ...
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Cydrome Leader wrote:

I can name you a lot with the 2410SA. Non-functional
commandline-interface that does not allow any automatisation.
Keeps dropping drives. Takes forever to resync. No SMART support
despite claims to the contrary. Incompetent technical support.

Expensive trash.

never had a drive drop or resync problems, and i've intentionally broken
arrays by yanking out the sata cables on a live system.

what firmware versions are you running?

As this thing was unusable and I had to get the storage running,
it has been disposed of by now, I expect. I bought it 4 years
ago.

So you have no relevant experience, as usual.