external drive w bultin SFTP

Old February 6th 08, 11:57 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Newser

Default external drive w bultin SFTP

I'm looking for a way to get physical diversity for backup storage. There
are friends and family who would gladly allow me to put a box in their
house, but I don't want to mess with their computers and all the ongoing
headaches of that. So my notion is to have an external hardrive with an
ethernet interface and a built-in secure FTP server. In this way, I could
hang the box onto their LAN, but not have to fiddle with their computer.
And, it needs to be relatively inexpensive.

There are a couple of such inexpensive devices, such as from TrendNet, but
the ones I've found have an FTP server, but don't support secure FTP (e.g.,
SFTP).

Can anyone point me to any such products?

Many thanks ...

Old February 7th 08, 09:34 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Maxim S. Shatskih

Why you need SFTP in the network which is physically under your control?

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

Old April 9th 08, 01:50 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Newser

Because:
1. The server would be on other people's premises, and the data is private
and I don't want unauthorized people viewing data on it or adding their own
data.
2. I can't trust how well they maintain a firewall.
3. I'd be communicating with it over the internet to reach the LAN on
which it would reside.

Can anyone provide useful information about the original question below?

Thanks.