Hum in speakers SB Live Platinum (not 5.1)

Old October 20th 04, 07:06 PM
gilles

Default Hum in speakers SB Live Platinum (not 5.1)

Trying to connect my Live to my stereo system (Harmon-Kardon amp -
good quality), I always get a HUMMMM. The sound goes through but I
have to listen to that hum. Using the headphone sound is clear.
I have updated driver. Am using 1/8 inch outlet to the two 1/4 in
(name???) connectors on amplifier. When I use this setup with a small
stereo system I don't get the hum. I am really confused.

Thanks in advance.

Gil
Old October 20th 04, 11:15 PM
Lenny

Trying to connect my Live to my stereo system (Harmon-Kardon amp -
good quality), I always get a HUMMMM.

HUMMMMs are often indicative of a grounding problem - or possibly lack of
the same, or bad cables/connectors. Make sure your sound system and your PC
are both attached to the same GROUNDED power outlet. Also make sure you have
decent quality shielded cables, and that they don't run parallel to power
cables and such, as this can in some (in my experience rare, but better safe
than sorry) cases cause interference through induction.

I assume other sound sources attached to the same inputs on your amplifier
do not hum as well? If you haven't done this, do that also, just to rule out
your amp having a busted set of inputs.

I have updated driver.

For once, this is not a driver issue!

Old October 21st 04, 04:58 PM
gilles

It is a good idea that it may be ground related. I went and plugged
the computer in the same power bar as the amplifier... and continued
to get the same hum. But you must be right. When I hold the connector
in my hand and touch it I start a small hum, just from my body's
magnetism ! ! ! Could the power bar not be grounded? How could I test
all that? Guess I need an electrician-electronician.

Gil

Old October 22nd 04, 04:10 AM
gilles

I found the problem. It was likely ground related. I found out that
the problem was with the cable that was connected to the amplifier to
use FM stations. It works now well with computer OR cable but not both
together. That's OK with me.

Gil

Old November 27th 04, 06:42 AM
Jim

Yes a ground problem, get a yard of turf and a piece of copper wire and run
the copper wire from your computer to the turf.
If this does not work, try turning the line in, or other sliders bars down
until until the hiss goes. click on the speaker icon and adjust all sliders,
I suspect you will have to go to options in volume control, properties,
record, and see what channel is causing the hiss.

wrote:

Trying to connect my Live to my stereo system (Harmon-Kardon amp -
good quality), I always get a HUMMMM. The sound goes through but I
have to listen to that hum. Using the headphone sound is clear.
I have updated driver. Am using 1/8 inch outlet to the two 1/4 in
(name???) connectors on amplifier. When I use this setup with a small
stereo system I don't get the hum. I am really confused.

Thanks in advance.

Gil

---