glossy and matte photo paper ink usage?

Old October 27th 10, 02:09 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Martin ©¿©¬ [email protected]

Default glossy and matte photo paper ink usage?

Hi
Which paper uses more ink at the same printer settings
Glossy or Matte photo paper?
--
Martin
©¿©¬
Old October 28th 10, 02:26 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug[_2_]

"somewhere" == somewhere Martin writes:

somewhere Hi Which paper uses more ink at the same printer settings
somewhere Glossy or Matte photo paper? -- Martin ©¿©¬

I believe it depends on the printer model, and printer brand, as well as
in some cases which gloss paper is selected.

For Canon printers, I can give an example of the iP4700, where Matte
Photo Paper uses an inkset I will refer to here as PhotoHighQuality,
both for "high quality" and "standard" quality printing, with the
difference that the printer uses different quality settings (3 and 2,
respectively) for the inkset.

For gloss paper types, for the iP4700 all use the PhotoHighQuality inket
with quality setting 3 for "high quality" printing, and a different
inket which I refer to here as PhotoStandarndQuality at quality setting
2 for "standard" quality printing.

Since the PhotoStandardQuality inkset uses less ink than the
PhotoHighQuality inkset, I believe that for the iP4700 gloss papers use
less ink, but only for "standard" quality printing. At "high quality"
setting they are identical.

Inkjet Hagaki and CDs use yet a different inkset, and 3 more different
inksets are used for plain paper (1 each for "high quality", "standard"
and "fast" quality), and the "standard" one of these plain paper modes
are also used for non-photo Hagaki.

Epson printers use a different system, so I am not sure what the result
will be there. Nor am I able to say anything about HP or other brands of
printers.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Pentium DualCore E2180 2GHz, Asus P5, 4GiB RAM
Old October 29th 10, 05:36 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
MD34

For color handouts I use Hammermill Color Copy Gloss.
It's pretty cheap at Office Max