Compaq DV9000 notebook - This is for a friend - help

Old March 15th 10, 10:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Postman Delivers

Default Compaq DV9000 notebook - This is for a friend - help

Having horrid time trying to restore a crashed Vista in this system.

Have three Recovery disks from HP (2 sets first set did not work): 1of2,
and 2of2, and a driver disk.

I have tried to use the recovery disks almost a dozen times but the
install always fails.

Yet I can install a 32 or 64-bit Linux, I find Mepis 8.0.15 runs fast in
this notebook, and AntiX is very very fast. Every version of Linux I try
runs well with the one exception: sound does not work but that is an
Intel problem of not providing the Linux drivers for every sound chip
they produce, as they do for Microsoft Operating Systems. Eventually a
work around will be released for all the different permeations of the
Intel sound chip, and this Notebook will have sound running almost any
Linux out of the box.

I had to start running Dban on the Sata drives (Two Drives) as the
recovery disks are only good for one try, or they come up with errors
early in the recovery. Seems the Recovery disks are not formatting the
hard drives correctly.

I purchased a new 320GB drive, and using this drive the recovery seems to
go farther in the recovery process, than the error less 160Gb drives, tis
a 4 hours of wait and see, nonsense game...

Linux installs and runs fast all except sound on either of the 160GB
drives, or the 320Gb drive. I put both of the 160GB drives in a desktop
using an adapter, and installed WinXP home and Linux easily in a AMD x3,
BioStar motherboard the system dual boots on both of these drives without
any hesitation.

I ran into a number of others having problems using HP's recovery disks,
seem there are a good number of workarounds that i have not been able to
accomplish yet. I do not have a generic Vista install disk to see if
that makes a difference, only a recovery disk set.

My friend the owner of this notebook only used it to play movies. When
the operating system failed he put it into the closet and purchased a
portable Movie DVD player. But he has discovered Netflick downloads with
their proprietary Microsoft only movie system and wants Vista Media
Center working again on this system.

I can not believe users had to find a way to cheat using the HP Vista
recovery disks. Was this only some notebooks, or a widespread problem?

Quote: Â*"Hi guys, since it appears others are still running into this
issue I will tell you what I've done to workaround the problem.

First of all, yes, HP's recovery discs only work so far and then, after
several hours of FBI process installations, the whole thing dies. Both
sets of factory discs resulted in the same problems.

To fix this myself, rather than send in my new machine, I advise that you
purchase a copy of Acronis True Image and have an external USB drive that
is at least 6 or 8 gigs. (not sure exactly). this can include an ipod, a
high capacity thumb drive, or an external hard drive, etc.

1. run the hp factory recovery disc
2. once it has completed and booted into vista, you'll notice the fbi
process (there are actually two processes)
3. I would let it run for an hour or so, maybe two. the thing is you don't
want it to get to the horrible point where you can no longer boot into
vista, but you want it to get as close to that point as possible. It took
me a couple tries, but I got it at a reasonable point.
4. Once you've figured out a point before the fbi thing will completely
screw you, you need to do the following:
5. Ctrl+Alt+Delete: bring up task manager and KILL KILL KILL both FBI
processes.
6. Go into your C:Program Files and there should be a folder called FBI
or something similar. (it's been a few weeks and I cannot remember
exactly).
RENAME this folder.
NOTE: now you can reboot and the fbi processes will no longer autorun. You
are safe to take as long as you want to complete the remaining steps.
8. You're gonna want to go into your Device Manager and figure out what
devices are still not installed properly. Then visit your HP support page
and download the pertinent drivers.
9. Once you've installed all the devices and everything seems to work
great, I suggest rebooting and, let Microsoft run it's auto update on the
OS or whatever, then use the bootable True Image disc. Here's what to do.
You'll need a sizable usb drive (at least 6 gigs, maybe even larger, not
sure)
10. insert the thumb drive and the acronis true image boot disc and boot
up from the disk.
11. Select the option of backing up your partition
12. Proceed through the process and save the image onto your usb drive
13. I would take the time now to verify that your image is fine
14. Now you are free do whatever else you want to your laptop, expand your
drives, and you will always have a fall back option that AVOIDS
HP FACTORY RESTORE DISCS.

Good luck everyone. If you have questions, post them here. I am monitoring
the thread."
End Quote

Is there any way to do a md5sum check on the disks, or a CRC check on the
disks?

Quote:" found a workaround too :-)

After running this never ending installation for an hour or two, I just
opened the second disc (applications and drivers recovery) provided by
HP. There is only one directory "Patch" on this disk. Select your OS type
(x86 or x64) and just double-click the .bat file placed in the
appropriate directory. I have no clue what it does, but after this FBI
dies itself and windows loads normally :-)"
End Quote

OK, have 2 hours more for dban to run before trying again... anyone have
another solution, I have the time to keep trying but seems crazy that HP
has allowed this Vista recovery disk problem to continue since 2008...

JR the postman

Old March 31st 10, 05:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
William R. Walsh

Hi!

I have tried to use the recovery disks almost a dozen times but the
install always fails.

And people wonder why these things are a bad idea compared to a real
operating system installation disc?

Sorry, I know it doesn't help, but I just had to rant.

Intel problem of not providing the Linux drivers for every sound chip
they produce, as they do for Microsoft Operating Systems.

The "sound chips" are nothing more than digital to analog converters from
some vendor, usually Conexant in the case of HPaq hardware. The main part of
the sound system exists in the south bridge, and most of the work actually
happens in software. AC'97 and the later HD Audio are both standards, one
driver ought to work them all.

I thought those things were a joke then, and I think they are only slightly
less of a joke now...

I had to start running Dban on the Sata drives (Two Drives) as the
recovery disks are only good for one try, or they come up with errors
early in the recovery.

Don't bet that the discs aren't bad. This whole disaster was developed by
SoftThinks, and I think that's actually an acronym, standing for something
like "the author of this Software didn't have the ability to Think". I've
seen this so-called "recovery" system claim that a second disc was required
when their very own burning utility only made one and said it was done. When
it does burn a disc, it burns the disc as fast as the burner will allow.
This does not improve the odds of the media surviving in the face of bit
rot.

I don't think you will get this to work.

Get a real Vista installation disc and start there. Or just get a copy of
Windows 7 and use that.

William