QUESTION??? P4PE-Cold Boot- occassional boot fail--> replacement mobos the same? Any help pls

Old May 19th 05, 01:10 PM
seeker

Default QUESTION??? P4PE-Cold Boot- occassional boot fail--> replacement mobos the same? Any help pls

Hi,

Since new, my P4PE (and 2 replacements) have all had the following
problem: Once XP is booted, they are 100% stable. But, if the room
temperature is low (I know it sounds crazy) ...say below 60 deg F)
then there is a chance (say 1 on 5) that upon power up..especially if
system AC power has been off...but other times too)...the system never
comes up.

No Video signal, no HD activity (expect that done by the local HD
processor)

The ONLY method to recover is is remove power (maybe several times)
and eventually the system will start normaly...that is, on power, a
video sgnal (Bios POST) is seen...followed by a message that the "last
boot failed due to "bad" cpu speed"....The CPU speed shown in the bios
(then) is correct.

XP then starts and runs with no problem and XP NEVER thinks it needs
to recover anything.

Doing a Google search, I have found several places where persons seem
to be talking about very similar issues...but as far as I can
tell...no one has a reason or fix?

HELP- PLEASE...or even comments!

THANKS TO ALL!!!

My System:
===========
Asus P4PE- latest Production ..xxxx 7 bios (replaced 2 x)
Power Supply: Have tried Antec True Power 550, TP 480, PC Power &
Cooling 400Watt. etc.

CPU Intel p4 2.4Ghz 'b' CPU (also swapped out no help)
Memory Micron Crucial 512 DIMM PC2700 / CL=2.5
(TRIED 1 DIMM, 2 X 256 DIMM, AND 2 OTHER BRANDS
NO OVERCLOCKING
Video (tried Geforce, ati, pny AND MORE)
HD (Have tried WD 80gig, Seagate 120, and Seagate 160 gig on IDE
primary
CD: Plextor DRU700 (also others tried) on IDE Secondary

That's it...simple system

Old May 19th 05, 07:09 PM
Paul

In article , seeker
wrote:

Hi,

Since new, my P4PE (and 2 replacements) have all had the following
problem: Once XP is booted, they are 100% stable. But, if the room
temperature is low (I know it sounds crazy) ...say below 60 deg F)
then there is a chance (say 1 on 5) that upon power up..especially if
system AC power has been off...but other times too)...the system never
comes up.

snip

http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=p4pe+%22cold+boot%22

Cold boot problems are a known issue.

"Poll: Does your ASUS P4PE have the cold boot issue? "
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showth...p4pe+cold+boot

"P4PE: I think I fixed my cold boot problem"

Old May 20th 05, 07:47 AM
Mutley

seeker wrote:

[...]

I think it's an inherent problem with these boards. Mine is fine
until the winter months then I get this problem. Once every week or
two until the weather warms up then no problems..
Old May 21st 05, 03:42 AM
seeker

Ans Top posted:

I'm sory to say that those of you who have replied and also the the
thread-links you were so kind to post are liley 100% correct.

Thatis is...the P4PE must have a bad design...likely in the clock or
Power-up area. Most users reporting th problem are running a 2.4 or
near P4 CPU and I've swapped everything, even the P$ and MB...but more
or less have the same issues...even down to "a cold room" overnight
will lilely cause it...

Might it be a short coming in the Intel chip..?? well possibly, but I
really haven't located other brnad MB with such similar reported
issues. Shame...once running I love the board...but the probablems
seems to increase with age and therefore it makes little sense for me
to trust my time, data and effort this way.

With the seemingly common issue, I'm surprised Asus didn't address the
isue...

=====

Old May 21st 05, 04:08 AM
seeker

seems like the p4pe has a design flaw and Asus has not addresssed it.