19" Flat panel VGA or DVI cable

Old April 6th 05, 10:19 PM
DB

Default 19" Flat panel VGA or DVI cable

I bought a 19" Samsung panel and it works great but was wondering If I would
see any improvement by using a DVI cable instead of my VGA cable. Anyone
have any words of wisdom on this? Best buy wants $52 for a DVI cable so I
don't want to through my money away.

Thanks,

Old April 6th 05, 11:35 PM
J. Clarke

DB wrote:

I bought a 19" Samsung panel and it works great but was wondering If I
would see any improvement by using a DVI cable instead of my VGA cable.
Anyone
have any words of wisdom on this? Best buy wants $52 for a DVI cable so I
don't want to through my money away.

(a) Never, ever buy a cable from BestBuy or CompUSA or the like unless (a)
you need to see it before you buy it for some reason or (b) you've
absolutely, positively got to have it _today_.

The same identical cables (same brand, same part number, same packaging,
everything) are available online for much, much better prices.

In the particular case, a DVI-I dual-link cable is available online for
under 8 bucks, while the Belkin brand that BestBuy likely carries can be
had for 20. Froogle "DVI Cable".

(b) I'm surprised that your Samsung didn't come with a DVI cable.

(c) Whether you see a difference depends on the system--sometimes you do,
sometimes you don't. With the last Samsung I looked at and a Matrox
display adapter there was not a noticeable difference.

Thanks,

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old April 7th 05, 12:15 AM
DaveW

The signal that the LCD monitor actually uses is a digital signal. But
using the VGA cable you are sending an analog signal which must then be
converted to digital. Not good. Results in a reduced quality image.
Get a DVI cable so that you are sending a digital signal to the LCD for
superior imaging.

--
DaveW

Old April 7th 05, 03:07 AM
J. Clarke

DaveW wrote:

The signal that the LCD monitor actually uses is a digital signal. But
using the VGA cable you are sending an analog signal which must then be
converted to digital. Not good. Results in a reduced quality image.
Get a DVI cable so that you are sending a digital signal to the LCD for
superior imaging.

Sez the guy who has never been right once in his life.

Old April 7th 05, 04:14 AM
sbb78247

J. Clarke wrote:
DaveW wrote:

The signal that the LCD monitor actually uses is a digital signal.
But using the VGA cable you are sending an analog signal which must
then be converted to digital. Not good. Results in a reduced
quality image. Get a DVI cable so that you are sending a digital
signal to the LCD for superior imaging.

Sez the guy who has never been right once in his life.

I agree with this poast!

Spent a bunch of money to get DVI and SO WHAT!!! There is not a whole lot
of difference betwen the analog LCD on this system and the DVI on the other.
BIG F***** deal.

Old April 7th 05, 06:19 AM
Frode

Old April 7th 05, 11:52 AM
sbb78247

Frode wrote:

not a world of difference on this one. maybe the monitor or card are crap?
There is a bit, but not much

Old April 7th 05, 04:10 PM
Frode

Old April 7th 05, 04:27 PM
DB

Thanks all you guys for your input. I think I'll try and find a less
expensive
DVI cable and give it a go for myself.
-Dave

"Frode" wrote in message
news

Old April 7th 05, 07:01 PM
Barry Watzman

Yes, the DVI cable is better, the amount of the difference varies. It
may be anything from minor to tremendous.

That's an outrageous price for that cable. You can probalby find one
for $15 or so.

www.pimfg.com
www.computergate.com
www.cyberguys.com
E-Bay

most monitors that have DVI inputs come with a DVI cable.