Pac. Bell/Compaq software

Old February 22nd 04, 09:14 AM
Mfdchoate

Default Pac. Bell/Compaq software

Can I use my Compaq Windows 98 "Recovery" (CD) disks in my Packard bell ? It
hasWin 95 in it...I know it says on the cd's that it will completly format my
HD but I've backed up my Docs. Any problems you are aware of? Is it
compatable? Would like to use the usb on my Pac. Bell for new Cannon printer,
and it's the one I mostly stype with cause only 166MHZ proccessor...Should I
download anything from Microsoft to make it work better? And will I be able to
run windows to download? Would appreciate any comments/suggestions/ideas you
have. Thanks so much. md
Old February 22nd 04, 02:13 PM
Elector

"Mfdchoate" wrote in message
Can I use my Compaq Windows 98 "Recovery" (CD) disks in my Packard

bell ? It
hasWin 95 in it...I know it says on the cd's that it will completly

format my
HD but I've backed up my Docs. Any problems you are aware of? Is

it
compatable? Would like to use the usb on my Pac. Bell for new

Cannon printer,
and it's the one I mostly stype with cause only 166MHZ

proccessor...Should I
download anything from Microsoft to make it work better? And will I

be able to
run windows to download? Would appreciate any

comments/suggestions/ideas you
have. Thanks so much. md

MD:
More than likely no. The Compaq recovery disks barely work on the
machine they were designed for. You can however go to
http://www.bootdisk.com and download the bootdisk to access your
system. If you have a full copy of Windows 95 you could place that on
there as a fresh install. However you may want to place Windows 98 on
the system since it has USB support (Also make sure there are USB
ports on the machine) or you will need to buy a USB add on card.

A 166 MHz. is not really that fast so you may also want to consider
the cost involved in restoring the older Packard Bell you can buy a
brand new system from http://www.dell.com/tv a Dell 2400 is selling
for $499 US and with a $100 rebate back will cost you $399 and that is
with a free memory upgrade and cd burner/dvd drive and free shipping.
Since your using Wal-Mart's as your ISP I will assume your in the US
so the link I gave you should work. The dells have USB and firewire
ports on both the front and back depending on the model you choose.
Good shopping.

Elector

Old February 22nd 04, 02:23 PM
Ben Myers

Compaq issued a standard Windows version on its recovery CD, but it is extremely
likely that its recovery software checks to make sure you are "recovering" onto
a Compaq branded computer. You also need a valid Microsoft "Certificate of
Authentication" to finish up a Windows install.

One bit of warning... The USB implemented on Pentium-class systems is the VERY
early and very immature USB version 1.0. After installing Windows 98, you may
be very disappointed to find that either USB does not work at all or that it
works badly... Ben Myers

Old February 25th 04, 06:06 AM
metronid

My daughther has a compaq
I can not speak for all compaqs
It requires a compaq bios to work
I beleive

I have tried one on a non compaq
Useless

I have some ideas for a work around
But why waste my time
I have licensed software that works

I do not know what it looks for
It sure is not the logo
I have tried logo insertion on another unit
for a similar pronlem
Did not work

I have not tried edeitung the bios string for the manufacturer recognition
This can be an easy change or a complex one

It can also be a complex failure

I have sucessfully modified a 450 bios
I have ended that research there

It works
-At least it will see a larger HD
-And properly recognize the CPU
-and takes about 5 minutes to fully boot
Besides that it kind of sucks

Old February 27th 04, 03:12 PM
Mfdchoate

Thanks for answering my question about Compaq and Pack bell compatability. Can
I use Windows 2000 on my Pack. Bell? It has 166 MHZ processor, 24 megs ram, ,
3.2 gig HD, and is using Win. 95 right now. (came with it.)I also has a USB
cable on the back...came with it originally but all the new printers need Win.
98 or better (with the usb cable/connection.). I would appreciate any info.
you could possible give me, and about any downloads I may need. Could you
possible e-mail it to my e-mail address instead of posting it on the web site,
or both. I just happened to check out the site again today...didn't know you'd
answered my question. Thanks so much. md
Old February 27th 04, 05:33 PM
Elector

"Mfdchoate" wrote in message
[...]

To what replier are you asking..?