Two Weeks+ ETD for Warranty replacement of Video Card?

Old October 5th 04, 03:29 PM
bigsley

Default Two Weeks+ ETD for Warranty replacement of Video Card?

Hi,

Can anyone advise if this amount of time is reasonable to replace a
simple video card? It is a Geoforce4 Ti 4600 from a Dimension 8200. I
was promised 2 business days by tech support. Any info would be
appreciated. Thank you.

bigsley
Old October 5th 04, 03:52 PM
S.Lewis

"bigsley" bigsley@domain wrote in message
Hi,

Can anyone advise if this amount of time is reasonable to replace a
simple video card? It is a Geoforce4 Ti 4600 from a Dimension 8200. I
was promised 2 business days by tech support. Any info would be
appreciated. Thank you.

bigsley

If I understand your post correctly, no, two weeks is a bit excessive. If
there are part availability issues (as this is a somewhat older card), then
you should've been informed as much by the tech as he/she dispatched it. (?)

Stew

Old October 5th 04, 04:40 PM
Ben Myers

And maybe even provided a newer card as a replacement? ... Ben Myers

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:52:27 -0500, "S.Lewis"
wrote:

.. .

Old October 5th 04, 07:25 PM
bigsley

My previous system was a Gateway, and I was never made to wait 2 weeks
for a replacement part. A couple times, a newer part was sent, and
always within a day or two at the most. The only logical explanation
is a lack of availability, due to its age, and so much time is alloted
for one to 'turn up'. I purchased a DELL this time because everyone
said that it was the best product with the best customer support, but
my first Warranty experience does not substantiate any higher rating
than a Packard Bell. Am I being too hard on them?

wrote:

. ..

Old October 5th 04, 07:40 PM
S.Lewis

"bigsley" bigsley@domain wrote in message
My previous system was a Gateway, and I was never made to wait 2 weeks
for a replacement part. A couple times, a newer part was sent, and
always within a day or two at the most. The only logical explanation
is a lack of availability, due to its age, and so much time is alloted
for one to 'turn up'. I purchased a DELL this time because everyone
said that it was the best product with the best customer support, but
my first Warranty experience does not substantiate any higher rating
than a Packard Bell. Am I being too hard on them?

snip

Typically, if a part is no longer available, Dell (like Gateway) will simply
send an equivalent or even an upgraded compatible component.

Your comparison to Packard Bell may be a bit strong, but your reasons for
dissatisfaction are genuine.

I'd get back on the horn with Dell to determine the source of the delay,
and/or seek a re-dispatch.

Here in the U.S., my Dell replacement parts have reliably arrived within 2
business days via Airborne Express.

Post back, will you?

Good luck.

Stew

Old October 5th 04, 08:19 PM
bigsley

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:40:06 -0500, "S.Lewis"
wrote:

snip

Typically, if a part is no longer available, Dell (like Gateway) will simply
send an equivalent or even an upgraded compatible component.

Your comparison to Packard Bell may be a bit strong, but your reasons for
dissatisfaction are genuine.

I'd get back on the horn with Dell to determine the source of the delay,
and/or seek a re-dispatch.

Here in the U.S., my Dell replacement parts have reliably arrived within 2
business days via Airborne Express.

Post back, will you?

Good luck.

Stew

Stew,

Its been almost 24 hrs since I last emailed DELL's customer support
and I am still awaiting a response. So, I just sent them another one.
Their last reply to me was basically a form letter, like the previous,
that spoke of 'factors' and the 'manufacturing processes', neither of
which should apply to an autonomous, way post-manufactured part. I
mean, how hard could it possibly be to pull a single part from a shelf
and stuff it in a box?? So, I advised them that 2 weeks was totally
unacceptable, and if they could not replace the warrantied part in a
more timely manner, then I would expect a refund for the purchase
price of the part, and I will replace it myself in a much more timely
manner. We'll see.

bigs
Old October 10th 04, 04:31 PM
David Casey

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 11:24:48 -0400, anonymous wrote in
:

This is just so incredulous, I had to post this update! Oh, this is
day ELEVEN of downtime. This is a quote from DELL's Customer Service
Department:

"If ever one becomes available, we will ship it to you. Dell is unable
to guarantee any shipping or delivery date."

Apparently, my extended warranty for next business day, onsite,
completgecare is just a worthless piece of paper and DELL has
absolutely no intention of honoring it. Is this breach of Service
Agreementt a widespread problem? Anyone else encounter this Twilight
(DELL) Zone? Basically, anyone with a Geforce4 Ti 4600 is SOL. They
dont have any left!!

I can understand your frustration, but how do you expect them to ship that
which they don't have? Have you tried contacting them and asking them if
they would exchange your card for another model?

I sure wouldn't be waiting 11 days before getting on them about sending me
something different. I had needed a new X800 XT and they had one to my
house in 3 days. It would have been sooner, but it was shipped on a Friday
so I didn't get it until Monday.

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!
Old October 11th 04, 01:34 AM
S.Lewis

E-mail Michael Dell.

It's been posted as and I've seen it listed as
. Send one e-mail and copy it to both. Make it short and
to the point of what you want to say. An upgraded card would be completely
reasonable to request, imo.

He won't get the mail directly, but I think he has a staff that handles
situations like this promptly.

This is a problem created by beauracracy, and should take all of 10 minutes
to solve and dispatch a replacement card.

Post back....

Stew

Old October 11th 04, 12:26 PM
Hank Arnold

Call back and escalate............ If it's critical and they insist on
replacement, offer to pay the difference for an upgrade...

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

Old October 12th 04, 03:03 AM
David Casey

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:27:57 -0400, anonymous wrote in
:

[top posting fixed]

Call back and escalate............ If it's critical and they insist on
replacement, offer to pay the difference for an upgrade...

Already did that, though I knew I didnt have to. Their response, by
email, was I have had the computer more than 21 days, so they had to
deny my 'request'. You try to be fair, and a nice guy! If they had
agreed, we'd both win.

I had my computer more than 21 days and they sent me a new graphics card.
Call back and try someone else.