presario 5012 freezes

Old April 19th 04, 06:04 PM
shooter

Default presario 5012 freezes

Hi all
my daughter's computer started freezing while
watching a DVD and now no matter what the task
it freezes.
I've used the recovery disk and it still freezes.
I took it to Best Buy and they say it could be anything
but dont give a plan for diagnosing etc.
Is it worth investing in fixing......any thoughts on what
could be the cause......or is it time to get a new machine.
thanks in advance.
Old April 20th 04, 10:56 PM
Joe G

well, I had the same problem on a s6000cl that was driving me crazy (it is
my wifes computer) I finally used the support availabe on the compaq web
site. I explained what all I had done prior to calling and they came up with
a BIOS upgrade. I'll be darned if that didn't work. It has made me renew my
faith in tech support!
om...

Old April 22nd 04, 09:33 PM
shooter

thanks Joe,
I went to the frequently asked questions in this group and found
that programs running in the background may be a problem.
I went to task manager and dealt with unecessary programs then tasks
scheduler and found about four that were scheduled every 5-10 minutes.
I deleted these and so far so good.
Compaq support has a couple of recomended fixes for the 5012US so
I'll go there next.
It seems to be a software issue so I currently believe that there is a fix.
If I get stuck again I'll contact support directly.
thanks again
Doug