Compaq Armada 7400

Old January 18th 04, 06:33 AM
Rich & Dee

Default Compaq Armada 7400

We have an Armada 7400 model 6300/T/6400/D/O/3....Our charger cannot charge
the battery because the prongs IN the laptop go INTO the laptop...As if
broken inside the casing....I've called the service center (CompUSA) and the
guy told me I would have to buy a NEW motherboard....For some reason I'm not
buying that story...I've fixed motherboards on my towers before, but have
never attempted a laptops motherboard...Can this be fixed by re-solderring
the prongs back onto the board?? Or not??

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions...

Old January 18th 04, 02:16 PM
Tom Scales

You have nothing to lose at this point. They are firmly attached to the
motherboard and the fix is a motherboard replacement.

Why not open the case and see what you find?

Tom

Old January 18th 04, 09:35 PM
Trai' La Trash

Rich & Dee wrote:
We have an Armada 7400 model 6300/T/6400/D/O/3....Our charger cannot
charge the battery because the prongs IN the laptop go INTO the
laptop...As if broken inside the casing....I've called the service
center (CompUSA) and the guy told me I would have to buy a NEW
motherboard....For some reason I'm not buying that story...I've fixed
motherboards on my towers before, but have never attempted a laptops
motherboard...Can this be fixed by re-solderring the prongs back onto
the board?? Or not??

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions...

This is a common problem, there are 3 prongs that are soldered to the board
that hold the power plug.
Take the unit apart and re-solder the joints.
If the bridges are burnt re-solder the joints scrape the board and
re-bridge the joints.

If you don't feel confident doing this at least get the unit open and then
stop by your local CB shop and have the bench tech there do the soldering
for you as he will be familiar with bridging joints and working on boards.
Cost will be $5-$20

Just for the record I have fixed boards that have had cracks in them from
being dropped.

Trai'