Compaq Presario 7PL290 Power Supply Problem?

Old October 27th 03, 04:15 PM
Brad

Default Compaq Presario 7PL290 Power Supply Problem?

Help!

I have had this system for a couple of years now and have had
intermittent problems over that time with the system hanging (cursor
freezes). However, more recently the hanging has become more frequent
to the point where it may only stay up for 5-30 minutes.

Only a cycle of the power will bring it back. Many times, when I try
to power it back on, the monitor never comes on (light stays amber -
doesn't go to green). Then, I have to try cycling the power multiple
times before it finally comes on. Once in a while, if I try cycling
the power immediately, even the cpu will not power on. I sometimes
have to wait a few seconds. I know that is good to do anyway, but I
seem to have better luck with the system successfully booting if I can
power it on immediately after the power off.

My troubleshooting has included the following (without any measure of
success): removed all unneccesary pci boards, disconnected IDE cables
(try just booting from the floppy), reseated memory, pull memory and
try just one at a time, got a new hard drive to boot from.

I am thinking the next step is to try a new power supply. However,
because of the cost and effort to get a replacement (300w) I wondered
if anyone knew of something else to try. What have I missed? Thanks
in advance.

Brad
Old October 29th 03, 03:20 PM
Brad

I replaced the power supply with a new one from Compaq and the problem
remains. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Brad

Old October 29th 03, 05:08 PM
Kevin Childers

Could this be a zombied process running from some defunct program eating
up available memory? Have you tried going into the config and shutting off
un needed apps?

If you hit ctrl-alt-del what does it show running? Try trimming the
list down to just explorer & systray. See if that helps a bit. If that
window is full, you may need to scroll down to check out what's running.
You might also use one of the free spyware programs to see if anything has
been added and is running without your knowledge. Software can often glom
up the works to were even the best hardware finally stalls out.

KC

om...

Old October 29th 03, 05:33 PM
DEJ57

Oh, I have to say it.

See what a CMOS reset does for you.

Dale
Old October 30th 03, 04:37 PM
Brad

I have tried removing unneeded applications, etc. When it freezes, I
can't do ctrl-alt-del - it's frozen.

I have also tried resetting the bios.

Last night, I removed by USB keyboard and replaced it with a ps2
keyboard. The system ran for more than 5 hours - first time in weeks.
By this morning, frozen again. Based on that experiment, I am going
to remove everything from the USB just to see.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Brad