Replcement for Ti4200 OTES

Old August 27th 04, 09:19 PM
Mark

Default Replcement for Ti4200 OTES

Hi all,

Just built a "new" computer out of "old" bits but getting various
problems with the graphics card ABit Ti4200 OTES...after a couple of
hours the comp will lock up and windows will say drivers are bad but i
have tried *All* of the drivers and it's still the same.....anyone
have any idea what could be wrong except the graphics card ??

If it is...what to go for on cheapest budget ??

Mark
Mark

Remove spam alternative to reply
Old August 27th 04, 09:21 PM
Egil Solberg

Mark wrote:
Hi all,

Just built a "new" computer out of "old" bits but getting various
problems with the graphics card ABit Ti4200 OTES...after a couple of
hours the comp will lock up and windows will say drivers are bad but i
have tried *All* of the drivers and it's still the same.....anyone
have any idea what could be wrong except the graphics card ??

Lots of other possibilities. For a start, which other components (including
PSU make and rating) does the PC consist of?

Old August 28th 04, 09:05 PM
Mark

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:21:07 +0200, "Egil Solberg"
wrote:

Mark wrote:
Hi all,

Just built a "new" computer out of "old" bits but getting various
problems with the graphics card ABit Ti4200 OTES...after a couple of
hours the comp will lock up and windows will say drivers are bad but i
have tried *All* of the drivers and it's still the same.....anyone
have any idea what could be wrong except the graphics card ??

Lots of other possibilities. For a start, which other components (including
PSU make and rating) does the PC consist of?

Hi,

Asrock m/b with AthlonXP 2500 (o/c to 3200) (happens on both settings)
1 gig PC2700 Ram, 80 gig hard drive.
PSU is QTec 550...brand new.

As i said, it works fine for a couple of hours then will lock up. If i
reboot straight away i will get corrupted screens even during
post....random letters numbers or missing letters/numbers etc.
Leave it off10-15 mins, then boot up and all is fine again...wierd

Old August 28th 04, 09:27 PM
Egil Solberg

Mark wrote:

PSU is QTec 550...brand new.

And sucks terribly. I kind of expected you to come up with this.
I have that PSU myself, friends recommended it when they first came out. It
is now stored in my closet, because it is close to worthless, I'm thinking
of letting it power a light P3-system replacing a 200W Codegen, but I have
my doubts whether it really is better. .
Change the PSU and see.

Old August 29th 04, 10:00 AM
Mark

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:27:12 +0200, "Egil Solberg"
wrote:

Mark wrote:

PSU is QTec 550...brand new.

And sucks terribly. I kind of expected you to come up with this.
I have that PSU myself, friends recommended it when they first came out. It
is now stored in my closet, because it is close to worthless, I'm thinking
of letting it power a light P3-system replacing a 200W Codegen, but I have
my doubts whether it really is better. .
Change the PSU and see.

Ok, thanks...will try and get hold of another to try out.

Old August 30th 04, 05:32 PM
Neil Maxwell

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 21:19:47 +0100, Mark
wrote:

Hi all,

Just built a "new" computer out of "old" bits but getting various
problems with the graphics card ABit Ti4200 OTES...after a couple of
hours the comp will lock up and windows will say drivers are bad but i
have tried *All* of the drivers and it's still the same.....anyone
have any idea what could be wrong except the graphics card ??

I recently ran an old Voodoo Banshee for a day or so, since it was the
only card in the recycle bin that fit the slot I needed, and it did
something similar.

It's cooled by a heatsink only, and when I finally finished with it
and pulled it out, it was hot as a firecracker. I believe putting a
fan on it would have stabilized it.

If yours has a fan, make sure it's still turning. If not, think about
putting one on to check it out.

Old August 30th 04, 08:54 PM
Mark

wrote:

Hi all,

Just built a "new" computer out of "old" bits but getting various
problems with the graphics card ABit Ti4200 OTES...after a couple of
hours the comp will lock up and windows will say drivers are bad but i
have tried *All* of the drivers and it's still the same.....anyone
have any idea what could be wrong except the graphics card ??

I recently ran an old Voodoo Banshee for a day or so, since it was the
only card in the recycle bin that fit the slot I needed, and it did
something similar.

It's cooled by a heatsink only, and when I finally finished with it
and pulled it out, it was hot as a firecracker. I believe putting a
fan on it would have stabilized it.

If yours has a fan, make sure it's still turning. If not, think about
putting one on to check it out.

Hi Neil,

The card in question is the OTES version (Outside Thermal Exhast
System..or something like that) which has a fan (still running) and a
dedicated exhast to outside the case (it takes up 2 slots).
I think that the card is the problem and am buying a new video card
tomorrow (if it dont fix it i'll put in my other system which is a bit
outdated now with an original geforce256 in it !!)

Old August 30th 04, 09:02 PM
Egil Solberg

Mark wrote:

The card in question is the OTES version (Outside Thermal Exhast
System..or something like that) which has a fan (still running) and a
dedicated exhast to outside the case (it takes up 2 slots).
I think that the card is the problem and am buying a new video card
tomorrow (if it dont fix it i'll put in my other system which is a bit
outdated now with an original geforce256 in it !!)

I would try the Geforce 256 in the system first. Or better, put the Abit
OTES in another computer to confirm it is working. I strongly belive the
ultra-crappy Q-tec PSU is the culprit.

Old August 30th 04, 09:03 PM
Egil Solberg

Egil Solberg wrote:

I would try the Geforce 256 in the system first. Or better, put the
Abit OTES in another computer to confirm it is working. I strongly
belive the ultra-crappy Q-tec PSU is the culprit.

System complaining about gfx-drivers when crashing is NOT a tell-tale sign
that the gfx-card is indeed faulty.