EIDE drive in a USB carrier

Old January 28th 04, 02:08 PM
bearman

Default EIDE drive in a USB carrier

I need to get another hard drive. I was thinking about getting a USB 2.0
drive but I called a local computer talk show about it and they suggested
getting a regular EIDE drive and putting it in a device that will connect to
the USB port. The device sells for $130.00. The advantage is that I can
always use the EIDE drive internally if I need to. Also, internal hard
drives cost a lot less than USB drives.

Has anyone here heard about this idea and if so, what do you think? And
what about the price?

TIA

Bearman

Old January 28th 04, 03:49 PM
Gerry Wolfe

bottom posting
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 06:08:20 -0700, "bearman" wrote:

I need to get another hard drive. I was thinking about getting a USB 2.0
drive but I called a local computer talk show about it and they suggested
getting a regular EIDE drive and putting it in a device that will connect to
the USB port. The device sells for $130.00. The advantage is that I can
always use the EIDE drive internally if I need to. Also, internal hard
drives cost a lot less than USB drives.

Has anyone here heard about this idea and if so, what do you think? And
what about the price?

TIA

Bearman

I've used one for about a year now, no probs. It's a USB 2.0 case
that holds a 2.5" HD (size used in a laptop). If you go this route,
note that there are "old" and "new" heights for the 2.5" HD and all
the cases I've seen only hold the "new" (thinner) drive.

USB seems to have enuff power to drive the drive (sorry about that)
altho cases I've seen are self-powered.

I like the 2.5" size since it is much more portable -- the external
USB drive is a great way to move around large amounts of data.
Downside is that the 2.5" drives are more expensive than the 3.25"
drives. The $130 is a bit high... I bought mine for about half that
price ($Cdn no less).

Even at the USB 2.0 transfer rate, you will notice that the drive is
considerably slower than an internal EIDE drive. Use the external
drive for data only and you'll have no probs. The USB 2.0 box also
works AOK (but slower) on USB 1.0 ports.

I'm thinking that the next box I build, I'll stick with a relatively
small internal EIDE drive that contains only WinXX and applications
software and keep ALL data on an external USB 2.0 drive.

rgds, g.
)
Old January 28th 04, 04:12 PM
kony

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 06:08:20 -0700, "bearman" wrote:

I need to get another hard drive. I was thinking about getting a USB 2.0
drive but I called a local computer talk show about it and they suggested
getting a regular EIDE drive and putting it in a device that will connect to
the USB port. The device sells for $130.00. The advantage is that I can
always use the EIDE drive internally if I need to. Also, internal hard
drives cost a lot less than USB drives.

Has anyone here heard about this idea and if so, what do you think? And
what about the price?

TIA

Bearman

$130 seems excessively expensive. Do you need portability?
What exactly is this "device"?

This week Officemax had a Maxtor 80GB HDD for $20 after rebates...
odds are they're sold out by now, but that gives you an idea of the
current rock-bottom pricing on internal drives. For less $ than the
gadget you're considering, you could have multiple drives. A
removable drive does have it's advantages but if you're simply needing
more storage space, adding another internal drive, without the
external device, may be the best, next upgrade.

Typically external USB2 enclosures can be had for around $50, but if
you really wanted to spend more you might consider firewire, adding
firewire cards to your system(s) using the drive, as firewire is quite
a bit faster reading from the drive, sometimes around 50% faster in
actual use, regardless of the fact that the bus specs "on paper"
suggest otherwise. To some people that's an unwarranted extra
expense, but relatively speaking, compared to a $130 gadget, it's
worthwhile for the performance if you'd be using the drive on a
regular basis.
Old January 28th 04, 04:32 PM
bearman

Thanks for your response.

I have no idea what the device is; I've never seen it. It seems like an
intriguing possibility.

I like your idea about another internal drive. I may buy another removable
drive bay and just go that route except I really don't like to power down to
put in the new drive; the USB way would allow me to make a hot connection.

I'm planning to use the drive mainly as a backup or a drive image device.

And thanks to Gerry also.

Bearman

Old January 28th 04, 04:37 PM
Pepperoni

How about a mobile rack mount for the extra bay? The drive slides out, is
lockable, and even includes a fan. Of course you would need two units to
transfer drives between your machines. Also great security for your
"sensitive" files. Just remove the drive from the machine.
Available for Eide, sata and ata drives. Much cheaper than a USB enclosure.
http://www.essencompu.com/nupplysingar.asp?ID=430

Old January 29th 04, 02:46 AM
~misfit~

Gerry Wolfe wrote:
I've used one for about a year now, no probs. It's a USB 2.0 case
that holds a 2.5" HD (size used in a laptop). If you go this route,
note that there are "old" and "new" heights for the 2.5" HD and all
the cases I've seen only hold the "new" (thinner) drive.

One good thing about laptop drives is that they run fairly cool. I know of
people who have had major problems with heat using a standard HDD in
external enclosures. Laptop drives do tend to be slower though, I guess it's
a trade-off that may be unimportant depending on usage. I'm not sure but the
speed difference may not be a factor on a USB bus.
--
~misfit~