R.A.I.D. for beginners part 2.

Old June 1st 04, 10:36 PM
Pete E

Default R.A.I.D. for beginners part 2.

Hi again,
Firstly thanks to those who have replied to my previous post with helpful
info.
Now to business, I have partitioned and formatted my drives ready for
install. No problem there now that I have left the jumpers off.
Next I connect both drives to a ribbon cable and plug it into the IDE Raid
port on the board.
OK, the BIOS is set to boot from CD so I put the XP Pro disk in and away we
go. First message is that no drives are attached to the fastrak controller
and the bios is not installed. So we boot from the cd anyhow and the message
to load raid drivers PRESS F6 comes up, so I do and it just carries on
load drivers for other storage devices etc so I say yes and load them. Then
next thing is we have no mass storage devices and round we go again.
Is it me or the machine?

TIA
Regards
Pete.

P4 3.4 512 800
Asus P4P800E Deluxe
1024mb pc3200 dual channel
2x 120gb WD1200JB
Radeon card
Lian Li PC60
Enermax 350w

Old June 1st 04, 11:28 PM
Gareth Jones

In message Ux7vc.442$S83.150@newsfe4-gui, Pete E
writes
Now to business, I have partitioned and formatted my drives ready for
install. No problem there now that I have left the jumpers off.
Next I connect both drives to a ribbon cable and plug it into the IDE Raid
port on the board.
OK, the BIOS is set to boot from CD so I put the XP Pro disk in and away we
go. First message is that no drives are attached to the fastrak controller
and the bios is not installed.

My apologies as I've missed the first part of the thread, but have you
enabled the RAID controller (and RAID bios) in the main motherboard BIOS
settings??

I can't find the original part1, but its not normal to have to partition
and format the drives FIRST...... you do this as part of the XP
installation process.
I must have missed something funny about this board!

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'

Old June 2nd 04, 05:26 AM
Paul

In article Ux7vc.442$S83.150@newsfe4-gui, "Pete E"
wrote:

[...]

If placing two drives on the ribbon cable that connects to the
PDC20378, you would want one drive to be master and the
other slave. Or, both drives to be cable select, if using a
reasonably new 80wire/40pin ribbon cable. Enable the Promise
controller in the BIOS, save and exit the BIOS, and on next
post, with a little luck, the Promise BIOS will load and detect
the two drives. Pressing a magic key combo at some point during
POST, as speced in the manual, should allow you to configure
them in the RAID BIOS. Once configured, you can do the rest of
the stuff at the OS level.

Paul
Old June 2nd 04, 08:00 AM
Pete E

Apologies to those who could not find my first post, it read as follows:
Hi,
Is there anyone out there who can supply information for setting up a RAID
array from the very beginning?
I have tried googling and found that everything starts from having 2 or more
drives etc etc. Trouble is that nobody tells you about having 2 drives and
whether to set the jumpers for Master, Slave or whatever. Can I partition
the drives first, obviously they would be partitioned the same.
Specs a
Asus P4P800E-deluxe with 2x WD1200JB drives.
Unfortunately when I tried to browse the driver/software CD that came with
the mobo, I found that it was no good and wouldn't read.
I won't be able to replace that for a while now, anyone got a copy they can
let me have?

TIA
Regards
Pete.

P4 3.4 512 800
Asus P4P800E Deluxe
1024mb pc3200 dual channel
2x 120gb WD1200JB
Radeon card
Lian Li PC60
Enermax 350w

Old June 3rd 04, 04:35 PM
Ken K

Here is the URL for the manual:

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock...0-e_deluxe.pdf

Old Laptop Part Nekos General 1 March 14th 12 06:17 AM
CD-R part of the CD-RW-DVD is not working Gatekeeper Cdr 4 July 20th 04 10:25 PM
Upgrade Report [GeekTech: RTFM Part 2, Beyond the Printed Page - 06/29/2004] Ablang General 0 July 2nd 04 03:19 AM
IBM/Lexmark Model M keyboard Part Number Question Austin R. Graves General 2 January 31st 04 04:23 AM
A7N8X Optional USB cable part no.? Scarletdown Asus Motherboards 0 October 19th 03 05:24 AM