Power supply for Presario desktop PC

Old November 23rd 09, 08:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Nevans

Default Power supply for Presario desktop PC

I've got a Compaq Presario 5000 5WV254 for which I want to get a new
power supply. I am pretty much in-the-dark as far as power supplies go.
People in this group have assisted me in the past with other issues and
I'm hoping someone can again.

Would the following power supply work in my PC? (If not, do you have
any suggestions for a different power supply that would work?)

http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/pr...products_id=83

The PSU has the correct dimensions and says it will work with either
PATA or SATA drives (I've got two PATA drives).

Is the voltage information correct? I have no idea how to determine
this but I do have the original 250-watt unit handy if any information
from that would help.

Will it connect to the Compaq motherboard?

Will the PSU work with the single-core Duron processor? It says it works
on dual-core and I have no idea if it will also handle single-core.

Are there enough connectors?

Presario 5000 5WV254
AMD Duron 700mHz
768MB ram
Dual-booting Windows ME and XP Home
2 IDE internal hard drives
- original 20GB Quantum Fireball as extra storage
- added 100GB Maxtor DiamondMax (dual-booting ME and XP Home)
2 IDE hard drives in external Nexstar enclosures (these are only
connected when necessary to access files stored there or to backup
files):
- 100GB Maxtor DiamondMax
- 160GB Maxtor DiamondMax
2 optical drives:
- original Compaq CD-ROM
- added Memorex CD-RW/DVD-ROM
USB ports
- original 2 front and 2 back ports
- added 5-port Belkin USB 2.0 card
- added 4-port Belkin external USB 2.0 hub
Original graphics card
Floppy drive
Dial-up modem
Added Belkin ethernet card (not yet in use)

The story:
A year ago I replaced the original 250 watt PSU with a 480 watt one from
911forPCs.com (they provide replacement PSUs based on brand/make/model
without the buyer having to get into the specifications).

The power supply fan was very loud (like an airplane engine!) but I
lived with it until the fan started to malfunction in September. Since
it was still under warranty, 911forPCs sent me a replacement. I've only
had the replacement a couple of months but the fan has already "acted
up" three or four times and is as loud as the first one

I don't want to go the 911forPCs route again so I'm trying to find a
suitable replacement elsewhere.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Nancy

Old November 26th 09, 06:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Would the following power supply work in my PC? (If not, do you have
any suggestions for a different power supply that would work?)

Sure, but it's overkill. That PC is never going to need a 500 watt power
supply. It won't hurt anything to use it, but you'll end up paying more than
you would for a smaller unit that is still perfectly adequate.

I'd recommend a 300-400 watt supply, with 400 nearing the border of more
power supply than you will ever need with this computer. If you've got a
nearby computer parts store, look for power supply brands such as Enlight,
HiPro, AGI, or PC Power and Cooling (premium quality supplies--not cheap but
worthwhile if you demand especially reliable power for your computer). Avoid
no-name supplies and ones that seem to be very light when you handle
them--there are lots of dishonestly specified power supplies out there that
will not provide the power you need. Check this:

http://greyghost.mooo.com/psuthoughts/

Scroll down to where you can see a Bestec supply like the one that was
probably in your Compaq system when it was new. Even the inexpensive and
failure prone Bestec supply is better built than the allegedly "400 watt"
unit.

The PSU has the correct dimensions and says it will work with either
PATA or SATA drives (I've got two PATA drives).

The dimensions are pretty well standard. An ATX style power supply is pretty
much an ATX style power supply. Sometimes you have to watch for switches and
stuff that might get in the way or not fit the cutouts in the case. That is
unlikely to be a problem--Compaq did not get particularly "inventive" with
these systems.

Will it connect to the Compaq motherboard?

Yes.

Will the PSU work with the single-core Duron processor? It says it works
on dual-core and I have no idea if it will also handle single-core.

Yes.

Are there enough connectors?

Any power supply is likely to have a few extras, which will not hurt
anything. If you want to, you can count up the types of plugs and look for a
power supply that comes as close as possible without going too far over.
There's no real need to do that, since the extras can be left disconnected
and unused. You can even bundle them up together if you'd like.

The power supply fan was very loud (like an airplane engine!) but I
lived with it until the fan started to malfunction in September.

That is typically a sign of a cheaply made power supply. I would not get one
from them again. Not being familiar with the company, I don't know what
their reputation is. A well made power supply should have a fan that lasts a
long time and runs reasonably quietly. It should move air but not sound like
a tornado when doing so.

It is good to know that your system is still operating. Sometimes the
failure of the factory provided power supply (typically from a company known
as Bestec) will take out the motherboard in your computer. The result is a
system that acts dead even with a new power supply in place.

William

Old December 20th 09, 05:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Nevans

Thanks to you and William for having replied. I read your responses in
November.

This PSU search turned into a real journey. I've learned a lot about
power supplies along the way.

The main lesson I learned is that the definition of a "standard" ATX
power supply has changed quite a bit since 2001. Not all standard ATX
power supplies manufactured today will work in this old system. .For my
system, I knew I would need a PSU with a 20+4 pin main connector and
that it shouldn't matter that newer power supplies don't have a -5V pin.

Because of the problem I was having with the PSU that was in my PC when
I originally posted, I purchased a Corsair power supply. It would not
power up my PC but it is working because, when I put into a newer PC I
got recently, it is runs just fine. (The newer PC is a Compaq Presario
SR5710Y with a Bestec PSU that I had been planning since September to
replace.)

I then ordered a different PSU from the same place I had obtained my
loud ones. It was good that I did because when I opened the case after
shutting down my old PC, everything was much hotter inside than I had
ever found it before.

The new supply is okay but still very loud even though it was advertised
as "low noise". But at least it works. However, the excessive noise
finally drove me to searching again.

I finally ordered a Thermaltake power supply that seems to be doing fine
at the moment. I hope it continues to work. I just installed it a few
hours ago. It is not "silent" but it is now SO MUCH QUIETER in this
room that I stiil feel like I can say, "Silence Is Golden!"

Nancy

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:05:59 -0500, HH wrote in alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
news:yeCdnbPmK74_vZHWnZ2dnUVZ_uednZ2d@metrocastca blevision.com:

Any standard ATX power supply should work fine.

HH

news

Old December 20th 09, 05:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Nevans

Hi William.

I left a complete reply to HH's post.

I want thank you for your detailed answer.

Fortunately, my original Compaq power supply from 2000 did not fail. I
replaced it only to be sure I had enough wattage for the hardware I
added last year. The original PSU actually has the "Compaq" brand on
it, so I don't know if it is a Bestec or not. All I know is, it was
still going strong when I replace it (and... I never heard any fan noise
from it!)

Nancy

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 05:51:19 GMT, William R. Walsh wrote in
alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq news:qHoPm.150233$la3.140464@attbi_s22:

Hi!