[UK] What value this used 2800+ Sepron PC I saw?

Old December 19th 08, 12:59 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Lou Ravi

Default [UK] What value this used 2800+ Sepron PC I saw?

Marcus Houlden wrote:
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:06:59 +0000, Surfer!
wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

In message , Lou Ravi
writes
Surfer! wrote:
In message , andrew
writes
I saw a used Sempron 2800+ PC for sale today. I'm not keen on
ebay and I couldn't get a price match.

What do you reckon is the going price for this PC which a dealer
bought from a liquidation sale and is selling on.

Sempron 2800+
Gigabyte mobo: PCIx3 PATAx4 SATAx2 6xUSB ports at rear
512 MB memory (fills both slots)
CD-R only
small 40 GB hard drive
XP Enterprise licence (maybe it means XP Pro?)

In quite good condition.

£100? £120? £140?

£50 or so. Mostly for the XP licence, if it's genuine.

Tight ******* ;-)

I'll offer 65.

You must have too much money....

He lives in France so he'll probably be taking advantage of the
exchange rate.

Indeed. I've suddenly become 'rich' without doing anything. Vive l'Euro

Old December 19th 08, 01:00 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Lou Ravi

John Jordan wrote:
andrew wrote:

What do you reckon is the going price for this PC which a dealer
bought from a liquidation sale and is selling on.

Sempron 2800+
Gigabyte mobo: PCIx3 PATAx4 SATAx2 6xUSB ports at rear
512 MB memory (fills both slots)
CD-R only
small 40 GB hard drive
XP Enterprise licence (maybe it means XP Pro?)

More likely it means a bogus VLK install. If it doesn't have an AGP
slot on the motherboard, the individual components are all close to
worthless.
£100? £120? £140?

Remove the first digit and you have the right sort of range :-)

I'll take the 00 then.

Old December 19th 08, 06:43 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
andrew

On Thu 18 Dec08 22:18, Synapse Syndrome
wrote

andrew wrote:

I saw a used Sempron 2800+ PC for sale today. I'm not keen on
ebay and I couldn't get a price match.

What do you reckon is the going price for this PC which a
dealer bought from a liquidation sale and is selling on.

Sempron 2800+
Gigabyte mobo: PCIx3 PATAx4 SATAx2 6xUSB ports at rear
512 MB memory (fills both slots)
CD-R only
small 40 GB hard drive
XP Enterprise licence (maybe it means XP Pro?)

In quite good condition.

100? 120? 140?

I gave away a Sempron 3400+ (maybe 3200+?) with a Foxconn
motherboard, 30GB and 40GB disks, 512MB RAM, CD-ROM player, and
speakers, for free a few weeks ago. I had it knocking around
doing nothing for over a year, but a friend of my brother said
he would be interested in having it, as he did not have a
computer of his own.

The Sempron 2800+ must be a decent enough processor (ok so yours was
faster) so why is that system worth so little?

I'm on an Athlon 2100+ (Via 266 chipset) and figured the Sempron 2800
would be a step up. No?
Old December 20th 08, 02:54 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Rob Morley

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 18:43:37 GMT
andrew wrote:

The Sempron 2800+ must be a decent enough processor (ok so yours was
faster) so why is that system worth so little?

The license is probably corporate, so worthless (non-transferable).
Look at eBay completed listings for the other stuff:
CPU ~ £10
HD ~ £10
MoBo ~ £15
CDR ~ £1

I'm on an Athlon 2100+ (Via 266 chipset) and figured the Sempron 2800
would be a step up. No?

Go to somewhere like eBuyer and you can buy the bits to build a system
with e.g. Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 160GB HD and 2GB RAM for £160[1].
That's without an optical drive or operating system, but presumably you
have those already, and it will provide a noticeable improvement over
your current system.

[1] That's with a cheap case/PSU, although not the cheapest. Most
people would probably advise you to get something better - if the PSU
fails it can take other stuff with it, and a better case will often
have better cooling, which may prolong the life of other components.

Old December 21st 08, 01:35 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Synapse Syndrome[_2_]

Rob Morley wrote:

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 18:43:37 GMT
andrew wrote:

The Sempron 2800+ must be a decent enough processor (ok so yours was
faster) so why is that system worth so little?

Someone had actually given me that machine in the first place when one of
mine had what turned out to be a PSU problem. It was quite noisy and had a
cheap case/PSU and uATX motherboard. When I saw that my old PIII-800 used
less electricity I made that into my sort of server computer instead. I
gave it to the first person that saw it that wanted it.

The license is probably corporate, so worthless (non-transferable).

Yeah...

ss.

Semperon 2800 with Athlon XP 2800 heatsink. Duncan Asus Motherboards 3 November 18th 05 06:33 AM
HP bij 2800 Fras Printers 0 May 17th 05 10:38 PM
AMD 64 2800+ Entis Overclocking AMD Processors 7 February 10th 05 09:10 PM
AMD 2800 with a 266 fsb? PoisonedAshie Overclocking AMD Processors 1 December 22nd 03 05:19 AM
2800+ BF Overclocking AMD Processors 8 November 16th 03 11:07 AM