Hard drive partitions not recognised in computer

Old November 3rd 08, 09:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
JD Francis

Default Hard drive partitions not recognised in computer

I have an HP Compaq D310 Desktop, and recently purchased a Hitachi
Deskstar T7K250. When this hard drive is in the computer and I try to
run the Windows XP Professional setup CD, it does not recognise any of
the partitions and is unable to modify the disk in any way. When I
connect the drive to another computer via a USB cable and run the
setup, it can detect all the drive partitions and modify them.

Is there a way to get this hard drive working for Windows in my
computer?
Old November 3rd 08, 02:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers[_2_]

JD Francis wrote:
I have an HP Compaq D310 Desktop, and recently purchased a Hitachi
Deskstar T7K250. When this hard drive is in the computer and I try to
run the Windows XP Professional setup CD, it does not recognise any of
the partitions and is unable to modify the disk in any way. When I
connect the drive to another computer via a USB cable and run the
setup, it can detect all the drive partitions and modify them.

Is there a way to get this hard drive working for Windows in my
computer?

You purchased a used drive if it already had partitions on it. Wipe the
hard drive clean with CopyWipe (free), and try again. The existing
partitions are causing some confusion... Ben Myers
Old November 9th 08, 10:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
JD Francis

On Nov 3, 1:19*pm, Ben Myers wrote:
JD Francis wrote:
I have an HP Compaq D310 Desktop, and recently purchased a Hitachi
Deskstar T7K250. *When this hard drive is in the computer and I try to
run the Windows XP Professional setup CD, it does not recognise any of
the partitions and is unable to modify the disk in any way. *When I
connect the drive to another computer via a USB cable and run the
setup, it can detect all the drive partitions and modify them.

Is there a way to get this hard drive working for Windows in my
computer?

You purchased a used drive if it already had partitions on it. *Wipe the
hard drive clean with CopyWipe (free), and try again. *The existing
partitions are causing some confusion... Ben Myers

I already completely wiped it with the manufacturer's disk utility
program, but this made no difference to the Windows XP Professional
CD. I should probably add, that using a Windows XP Home CD, I am able
to install the operating system on the NTFS partition, which it
recognises, with no problems.
Old November 13th 08, 08:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

JD Francis wrote:
[...]

So it was a used drive?
Came from Windows environment ? ( vs. Unix,VMS, etc)
What do you mean by "completely wiped it" ?
Reformatted ?
If works as secondary drive, there the primary boot area is not used.
Did you look at disk structure when installing XP Home ?
Were there more than one partition ?
Were you able to delete existing partitions ?
Might it be you installed XP home to second partition?
So are you now all set, or still trying to install XP Pro
Can you install XP Pro NOW ( with XP home on there)

Old November 15th 08, 05:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
JD Francis

JD Francis wrote:
[...]

The drive was used, yes. I don't know its history, but it did have a
single NTFS partition on it when I got it that got deleted when I zero-
filled the disk. Windows XP Home setup can see NTFS partitions and
indicates that they are of this format, but the Windows XP
Professional setup simply says "Unknown" and displays the error "Setup
was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged" message
when I try to manipulate the drive in any way.

I've already tried installing XP Professional from a Home
installation. Everything works fine up until the point where it
reboots, where I get a Stop 0x00000024 error.

The drive is fine; I've already run a scan on it. I believe the error
is to do with either the configuration of the drive or that of the
computer, rather than a fault with the drive. Also, on another thread
I started in another group, somebody asked whether the XP Professional
disk had a SP other than 1 on it while the XP Home disk had SP1 on
it. This is correct, so I am wondering whether this difference in
service packs bears any significance on the issue I am having.
However, I have no way of obtaining an XP Professional SP1 disk so I
am kinda screwed there if that is the cause of the problem.
Old November 15th 08, 07:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

"JD Francis" wrote in message

JD Francis wrote:
[...]

========
Stop 24 error:
" an unrecoverable error when trying to access an NTFS partition or a volume
on the hard disk. Typically, you receive a "Stop: 0x00000024" error message
when the file system or partition structure is corrupted "

I've installed XP Pro w/SP2 from scratch, and it installed fine so I don't
think it's your software CD. Still sounds like physical disk issue to me. I
suspect drive was previously in non-NTFS environment and the boot area is
not recognized by install program. Why an issue in Pro and not Home ?
Perhaps utilities dated differently ?? whatever the reason:
Are you familiar with FDISK ?
" The fdisk command in Windows 95 and Windows 98 lets you delete NTFS
partitions by selecting and deleting the NON-DOS partition. "

Can you make a Win98 boot disk ? or Norton Ghost ? Ultimate Boot CD etc
to be able to :
1. boot a floppy ( or CD). Then, in DOS (either PC DOS or MS-DOS)
2. low level format the drive
3. partition the drive
4. format the drive ( FAT32)
5. run chkdsk /f just to check drive
6 if you are familiar with SYS command,
type sys C:
to initialize the boot block ( to boot up Win98 )
( http://www.computerhope.com/syshlp.htm )

Doing those steps will erase everything on the drive , then make sure that
the boot block is writeable- and chkdsk should finish with no errors. Check
the output for bad blocks etc.
That should get you to a blank disk that has one and only one partition and
a good boot block.

Now that the drive has been initialized, boot the XP Pro CD ( make CD first
in flow, otherwise will get Win98 C:\ prompt)

5. Install XP Pro . When it asks for disk structure , first 'View existing
partitions", just to be sure nothing there - no hardware error, then "
Delete all "partitions. Then "Create" using all of the disk.
That should do it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228888/en-us
for the STOP error ( I know it says Windows 2000 , but just go with it)
or
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935806
( halfway down)
Search results for your problem:
http://search.microsoft.com/Results....FORM=QBME1&l=1

Old November 19th 08, 08:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
JD Francis

On Nov 15, 6:03*pm, "- Bobb -" wrote:
"JD Francis" wrote in message

JD Francis wrote:
[...]

Search results for your problem:http://search.microsoft.com/Results....ll+XP+Stop+0x0...

I'm not doing all of that. I know what the stop error is for, but
clearly there's nothing wrong with my drive if I can install Windows
XP Home on it. However, I have noticed that installing a Service Pack
over it causes it to not boot. Is there a way to troubleshoot this
and then work from there?