slow memory

Old October 11th 04, 01:49 AM
allan

Default slow memory

Hi
I have a AMD 2500 that I run in 11/200 mhz it makes 2200 mhz.My problem
is the memory.I got two apacer 3200 sticks each one 256mb.This memorys
are made to run in 200mhz speed but trying that just gives me heavy
errors.So I run them in 83% of 200 and thats 167mhz.I been trying
running them in single mod and dual mode but no matter what I do if I
run them in the speed they re meant for I get errors.I tried all
settings to make them run god but all in vain.Can somebody think of some
bios setting that might make an impact on this or am I a victim of bad
memorys.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
regards
al
Old October 11th 04, 02:54 AM
Avid Gamer

Does your board support 400fsb ?, what is your board brand, name, ect
bios, Revision, ect ?

Any stick of pc3200 supports 400fsb, try adding more voltage to the
ram, i think 2.6 is default try 2.7,2.8 see what that does.

Old October 11th 04, 04:48 AM
allan

Avid Gamer wrote:

[...]

Yes it's a Asus a7n8x rev 2 and the bios is 7 that came this summer I
think and the board suports 200 and I allready been trying to raise the
mem voltage and I allready tried to chnge the ras to cas delay and the
other settings with no luck.I do the checking with prime 95.
regards al
Old October 11th 04, 04:56 AM
Quintillionth Quaff

"allan" wrote in message
Avid Gamer wrote:

[...]

I use Apacer PC3200 (256MB x 2) in an AOpen AK79G-Max mainboard. Memory is
set at 200MHz and is running fine. Unless the memory is bad they should be
able to run at 200MHz. Can't help you with your problem just wanted you to
know that Apacer memory can hit 200MHz.

QQ

---

Old October 11th 04, 05:34 AM
allan

Quintillionth Quaff wrote:

"allan" wrote in message

Avid Gamer wrote:

[...]

Ok thats nice to know but I cant understand why mine want run in the
speed they where made for.
cheers
al
Old October 11th 04, 03:53 PM
Rusty

My son has an Asus a7n8x with 3200 Samsung memory that will not reach 200Mhz
in single channel.
Best we could get was about 187Mhz at any given timing settings.
I figure that the board is a little picky about memory.

Old October 11th 04, 04:49 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

m...

"allan" wrote in message
Hi
I have a AMD 2500 that I run in 11/200 mhz it makes 2200 mhz.My problem
is the memory.I got two apacer 3200 sticks each one 256mb.This memorys
are made to run in 200mhz speed but trying that just gives me heavy
errors.So I run them in 83% of 200 and thats 167mhz.I been trying running
them in single mod and dual mode but no matter what I do if I run them in
the speed they re meant for I get errors.

Your memory might be OK, it could be the rest of the PC...

I have an athlon 2400, which should run at 2000MHz (15x133) and I have
PC2700 (166MHz) memory, normally set to run at FSB + 33MHz = 166Mhz. If I
change the multiplier and FSB settings to 12x166MHz the processor speed is
still 2000MHz. I also change the memory settings to run at FSB + 0MHz =
166MHz, so all should be OK, but the PC won't boot!!. The problem is either
my AGP card being forced to run too fast, or one of my PCI cards can't
handle the extra speed - the FSB isn't just for the processor and memory!

It could be that you are seeing the same problem - Do your motherboards
allow a higher FSB without overclocking the AGP card or PCI cards? It could
be that the memory is fine and another component is causeing the
instability?

Old October 11th 04, 08:27 PM
allan

Gareth Tuckwell wrote:
m...

"allan" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks all for your answers.I finally got it going as it should.It was
some bios settings that was the cause of the problem.
My motherboard does allow a higher frontsidebus without you have to
raise your agp or pci speed.You have to adjust it if you higher your bus
speed though as otherwise the pci speed gets higher as well.You do it
in the bios.
regards
al