Ok, I'm lazy but...

Old April 16th 08, 01:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
~misfit~[_3_]

Default Ok, I'm lazy but...

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Rodney Pont" typed:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:27:26 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

Actually I thought of that but didn't try it. I will. I have a
P5KE-WiFi/AP running a C2D and a P5PE-VM also running a C2D and Asus
Probe(/II) is crap. It reports board temps and some figure for CPU
that changes wildy with each new BIOS and doesn't seem to relate to
the actual CPU temp so I didn't try it earlier. Perhaps it'll do
better on that baord. I have the mobo CD...

Asus have version 1.04.23 on their web site. I don't know if that's
later than the one on the CD, it's the 2007/09/05 update.

Cool, thanks for that. I haven't got around to it yet, I might try the new
version if the CD one is crap.
--
Shaun.

Old April 16th 08, 06:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
John Whitworth[_2_]

"~misfit~" wrote in message
Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

And maybe Speedfan.

Thanks. I've got Speedfan on it but it doesn't pick up the CPU cores. Just
the three mobo monitored temps (NB, SB and case?), the GPU and the HDD.

I can't find one that will minimise to the tray and show core temp like
CoreTemp does on Intels. :-(
--

Speedfan (well, the beta vsn I downloaded) will show one temp in the tray.
But from what I read, Phenoms have just one sensor anyway.

JW

Old April 17th 08, 02:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Whitworth" typed:
"~misfit~" wrote in message
Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

And maybe Speedfan.

Thanks. I've got Speedfan on it but it doesn't pick up the CPU
cores. Just the three mobo monitored temps (NB, SB and case?), the
GPU and the HDD. I can't find one that will minimise to the tray and show
core temp
like CoreTemp does on Intels. :-(
--

Speedfan (well, the beta vsn I downloaded) will show one temp in the
tray.

Yeah, it's done that for a few builds now. I've got it (ver. 4.33, newest
stable) showing the NB temp on that machine which is by far the hottest
thing in the case. It reached 78°C yesterday and only has a little 30mm x
30mm passive heat sink on it. I burned my finger touching it. Amazingly
having a small fan blowing on it doesn't seem to help much. Nor did
replacing the thermal pad (which I "broke" anyway while fixing the fan to
it) with AS. It's my opinion that it needs a much bigger HS on it. However,
it has these two dinky little loops for the HS to fix to and i can't find an
after-market 'sink to replace it with. At least not in NZ, in the stores I
have bookmarked.

Speedfan doesn't pick up any readings for the CPU which I've not managed to
push over 54°C with Prime 25.5. Interestingly, the machine failed Prime with
the BIOS all on defaults. I had to set the vcore up two notches to get it
Prime stable. It didn't seem to effect the CPU temp (read via HWMonitor) at
all so that's good.

But from what I read, Phenoms have just one sensor anyway.

HWMonitor reports four temps under the category Phenom 9500 and they do vary
slightly compared with each other, never more than a degree or so though.
It's just a shame that it doesn't minimise to the tray, a la Speedfan.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old April 17th 08, 08:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
John Whitworth[_2_]

"~misfit~" wrote in message

But from what I read, Phenoms have just one sensor anyway.

HWMonitor reports four temps under the category Phenom 9500 and they do
vary slightly compared with each other, never more than a degree or so
though. It's just a shame that it doesn't minimise to the tray, a la
Speedfan.

Fair enough. I was just going by what I read on the CoreTemp site. Thought
it seemed a little strange to just have the one sensor to be honest.

JW

Old April 21st 08, 06:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
anamigan

I now start the installation of applications with REVO UNINSTALLER, then
add PROCESS EXPLORER as a
heavier duty task manager, SYSTEM INFO and BELARC ADVISOR follow that to
give me my internals and
such, then COMODO is installed as the firewall and then I install
CLAMWIN and SPYWARE VANISHER while
in learning mode.

All without that network connection being attached. I haven't had any
problems with this methodology.

Having said all that, I put together this low end core2 dual using a
and 2G of RAM on an all
inclusive P5B-VM and slapped XPpro on it so that I would have a reliable
peppy system to back up my
Amiga PPC@800MHz micro-itix box. It's also got some stretch in the
future til I can go for a quad core
for the same $700.

I really like the quality of advice and cameraderie of the core group
here.