AMD introduces 3.2GHz Athlon 64 X2 6400+

Old March 9th 08, 04:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

Default AMD introduces 3.2GHz Athlon 64 X2 6400+

Ritter 197 wrote:
Good morning, at least here on the East coast of the US!
I cannot get the "95" etc to work this morning. It always starts up and
then says it encountered an error and needs to shut down. "Debug" and
option does apparently nothing because it does the same the next time.

I tried downloading it again and suddenly when extracting the files it
wants a password (which it never asked before and therefore is not set up)

I guess I am stuck for some reason at this point.

Do you think Removing the application and trying to download then might
be an option?

http://www.mersenne.org/gimps/p95v255a.zip ?

926,532 bytes

Opens in pkzip without complaint (no password needed).
The need for a password implies something has changed inside the ZIP file.

MD5SUM (checksum of bytes in the ZIP) is 890d61afea21711bc8ca4a70119820c5

The file I just downloaded, has the same MD5SUM as the one I got in Dec 2007.

To reset the operation of the tool, find "local.txt" and "prime.txt".
They hold preferences for the application, such as the answer to
the "Join GIMPS" question. Deleting those two files should cause the
program to run like new.

Once you unzip the ZIP, the main executable is 4,534,272 bytes.

The "readme.txt", "license.txt", and "undoc.txt" files, are deposited in the
directory above where the Prime95 executable ended up.

*******
There is a lot of snow waiting for me outside, and I have hours and hours
of shovelling to do. No snowblower :-(

Paul
Old March 9th 08, 05:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ritter 197

Paul, thanks again.
What is it I should do after I have opened "95" etc?I am not at all sure
what to do with the various things such as Test, Options etc.
What should I set?
Sorry, this "thing" is totally new to me, but I appreciate learning very
much.
I'll be going to PA. this PM and will probably not get back until about 8 or
9 PM.

Karl in MD.

Old March 9th 08, 10:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

Ritter 197 wrote:
Paul, thanks again.
What is it I should do after I have opened "95" etc?I am not at all sure
what to do with the various things such as Test, Options etc.
What should I set?
Sorry, this "thing" is totally new to me, but I appreciate learning very
much.
I'll be going to PA. this PM and will probably not get back until about
8 or 9 PM.

Karl in MD.

You double click the executable. The first question the program should
ask, is "Join GIMPS" or "Torture Test". You want the Torture Test
option. "Join GIMPS" is like the SETI program - your computer would be
used to compute Mersenne Primes, whenever the machine is idle. They
included the Torture Test, as a way of proving a client machine was
worthy of doing the calculations. (No point in trusting the machine
to compute or check prime numbers, if it corrupts the results.)

Next, a custom dialog should pop up, which allows the test options
to be modified. If you want the machine to remain a bit responsive,
you might reduce the size of memory to be tested.

The program does some math calculations. The programs knows what the
correct answer should be. If you overclock your processor, and there
is instability in either the CPU core or in the memory subsystem, the
errors caused will cause Prime95 to halt. If all the hardware
is running at conservative settings (the way the BIOS does it when
set to "Auto"), then Prime95 should run for hours without halting.

If you want to stop the test, the left-most menu has a stop option.
There is also an exit option, which is when you want the program
to quit and free up all the resources it was using.

Prime is a tool to help you detect stability or instability in
a machine you are overclocking. If Prime95 halts with an error, then
turn down your CPU a notch and try again.

Paul
Old March 10th 08, 12:47 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ritter 197

Thanks, my good friend. Very helpful. Just got back from PA.

I am printing out all your suggestions and will follow them.
I shall post results here.

Old March 11th 08, 01:34 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ritter 197

Here are my results so far, which are not what I expected:

I first power up 95*.
I then power the PPL etc.
I see the original settings which I gave in an earlier response.
I then moved the clock forward, as suggested, forward by 5Mhz or so and let
95* run for 10 minutes.
I do not encounter a problem and continue with above slowly, always running
after the advance the 95* for 10 or more minutes.
I finally say "apply etc settings" which were :
CPU 2545.38, FSB 231.40, RAM 282.82
I shut down and do a cold start, go back to PPL and lo and behold, the clock
setting are again the original, not the ones I selected, checked out with
96* and set to "apply"

So what am I doing wrong?????

Old March 11th 08, 01:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ritter 197

Here are my results so far, which are not what I expected:

I first power up 95*.
I then power the PPL etc.
I see the original settings which I gave in an earlier response.
I then moved the clock forward, as suggested, forward by 5Mhz or so and let
95* run for 10 minutes.
I do not encounter a problem and continue with above slowly, always running
after the advance the 95* for 10 or more minutes.
I finally say "apply etc settings" which were :
CPU 2545.38, FSB 231.40, RAM 282.82
I shut down and do a cold start, go back to PPL and lo and behold, the clock
setting are again the original, not the ones I selected, checked out with
96* and set to "apply"

So what am I doing wrong?????

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 18:47:24 -0500, Ritter 197 wrote:

Do I download "memtest" somewhere? Same question for "cdromm". I shall
await your answer before proceeding. Thanks in advance

You can download memtest86, cdromm was a typo just maening a boot cdrom
disc with memtest on it. There's also a boot floppy version of memtest if
you prefer. Some Linux distros also have memtest as an option when you
boot them.

Old March 11th 08, 01:56 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

Ritter 197 wrote:
Here are my results so far, which are not what I expected:

I first power up 95*.
I then power the PPL etc.
I see the original settings which I gave in an earlier response.
I then moved the clock forward, as suggested, forward by 5Mhz or so and
let 95* run for 10 minutes.
I do not encounter a problem and continue with above slowly, always
running after the advance the 95* for 10 or more minutes.
I finally say "apply etc settings" which were :
CPU 2545.38, FSB 231.40, RAM 282.82
I shut down and do a cold start, go back to PPL and lo and behold, the
clock setting are again the original, not the ones I selected, checked
out with 96* and set to "apply"

So what am I doing wrong?????

Overclocking in Windows, stays in Windows. There are some motherboards,
where the software provided on the motherboard CD, does transfer the
settings to the BIOS level. But on your HP box, I don't expect they
would provide that, as the BIOS was pretty basic to begin with.

If you want the overclock applied all the time, check the documentation
for clockgen, and see if there is a service that can run at boot time,
to set it up every time. (The release notes say "Run at Windows startup"
feature, was added at release 1.0.4.7. The 1.0.5.3 release should have it.)

Alternately, you can just run the program, before you need the awesome
power of overclocking, and dial up the settings before starting Crysis
or whatever.

Paul
Old March 11th 08, 02:26 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ritter 197

Thanks Paul. Yes I found that 1 little checkmark to apply these new settings
at windows startup.

Checking it did result in the settings that I had selected. You are just
great!

But when do you sleep? Are you not in the UK? I saw in another Newsgroup
here that you said you had a fan for so and so many English pounds.

I had not thought that I would hear from you when it is 10:20PM here and
2:20 in the morning in the UK. Just curious. Thanks again!!!

Old March 11th 08, 02:39 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

Ritter 197 wrote:
Thanks Paul. Yes I found that 1 little checkmark to apply these new
settings at windows startup.

Checking it did result in the settings that I had selected. You are
just great!

But when do you sleep? Are you not in the UK? I saw in another Newsgroup
here that you said you had a fan for so and so many English pounds.

I had not thought that I would hear from you when it is 10:20PM here and
2:20 in the morning in the UK. Just curious. Thanks again!!!

I'm in Canada, but I keep irregular hours.

Paul
Old March 11th 08, 07:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ritter 197

Hi Guys:
It is a repeat from below:
I reset the clocks, select "reset selection", then "apply selections", yet
when I go back to view clocks it shows the original settings, not the
selected settings. I also made sure again that under Options the checkmark
is there to keep the newly selected option at Start up of windows.

Still confusing all, and most of all, since it shows the original clocks,
and they are active, since they constantly make upward or downward minor
moves, is *95 even checking the new selected settings of the clock???

. ..