AMD introduces 3.2GHz Athlon 64 X2 6400+

Old August 13th 07, 08:18 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
lyon_wonder

Default AMD introduces 3.2GHz Athlon 64 X2 6400+

still based on the old 90nm process, and as hot as an netburst-based
Pentium D extreme.

http://my.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showth...043#post419043
Old August 13th 07, 11:43 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Kevin Liebowicz

On Aug 13, 3:18 pm, lyon_wonder wrote:
still based on the old 90nm process, and as hot as an netburst-based
Pentium D extreme.

http://my.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showth...043#post419043

This sounds like great chip. I wonder how fast can overclock this but
maybe 90nm manufacture process will be to limiting to get very high
speed?

Old February 20th 08, 03:41 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ritter 197

How do I overclock an AMD CPU?

"Ed" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:43:24 -0700, Kevin Liebowicz
wrote:

On Aug 13, 3:18 pm, lyon_wonder wrote:
still based on the old 90nm process, and as hot as an netburst-based
Pentium D extreme.

http://my.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showth...043#post419043

This sounds like great chip. I wonder how fast can overclock this but
maybe 90nm manufacture process will be to limiting to get very high
speed?

It's AMDs last speed bump on 90nm so I doubt they OC much at all, if
any, I'd sooner get a 6000+ and OC it to 3.2 and just be happy

Old February 21st 08, 05:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Peter van der Goes[_2_]

"Ritter 197" wrote in message
. ..
How do I overclock an AMD CPU?

Which AMD CPU on what motherboard using what other hardware?
Without details of your setup, any advice would be a WAG.

Old February 21st 08, 07:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
daytripper

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:23:59 -0600, "Peter van der Goes"
wrote:

"Ritter 197" wrote in message
How do I overclock an AMD CPU?

Which AMD CPU on what motherboard using what other hardware?
Without details of your setup, any advice would be a WAG.

Huh? This is *Usenet*, ya rookie! You're supposed to *tell* him what hardware
- with specificity, including bios revisions, wattages, and especially colors
- and then defend your selection to your binary death, with great vigor and a
broad use of "language" both domestic and foreign.

Sheesh...

/daytripper ;-)
Old February 22nd 08, 06:43 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Peter van der Goes[_2_]

wrote:

Huh? This is *Usenet*, ya rookie! You're supposed to *tell* him what
hardware
- with specificity, including bios revisions, wattages, and especially
colors
- and then defend your selection to your binary death, with great vigor
and a
broad use of "language" both domestic and foreign.

Sheesh...

/daytripper ;-)

Uh, sorry. I forgot that rule.
Won't happen again... :-)

Old March 7th 08, 01:45 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ritter 197

My computer is an AMD 2.20 gigahertz Athlon 64X2 Dual core.
The MB is an ASUSTek NODUSM3 1.05, bus Clock 199 megahertz, BIOS is Phoenix
Tech LTD 3.06 07/14/2006

I am using WindowsXP.

Does this help?

"Peter van der Goes" wrote in message
. ..

Old March 7th 08, 03:17 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

Ritter 197 wrote:
My computer is an AMD 2.20 gigahertz Athlon 64X2 Dual core.
The MB is an ASUSTek NODUSM3 1.05, bus Clock 199 megahertz, BIOS is
Phoenix Tech LTD 3.06 07/14/2006

I am using WindowsXP.

Does this help?

General rules -

1) If the BIOS has something set at "Auto", set it to "Manual".
This will expose more settings, and make some things adjustable.
I've used that approach on my last two Asus motherboards, without
staring at the manual too much.

2) Find the CPU input clock. Say it was 200MHz. Set it to 205MHz.
Now you're overclocking. Proceed in small steps. You don't
change the input clock from 200MHz to 300MHz, and expect a
miracle. Go in 5MHz steps, and boot something that won't get
corrupted (memtest86+ floppy, Knoppix or Ubuntu CD). The idea
is to detect instability, without crashing the thing, or
causing it to lock up.

3) Turning up the CPU clock, will usually also increase the speed
of the RAM, without it being obvious in the BIOS screen that it
is happening. To compensate for this, turn down the visible
memory clock setting. For example, say I have DDR2-800 memory.
I turn it down in the BIOS, to DDR2-533. That leaves room for
overclocking by a factor of 800/533=1.5x . You could increase
the CPU input clock, from 200 to 300MHz, and at that point, the
actual operating speed of the RAM would be exactly DDR2-800.
Even though the BIOS setting shows DDR2-533. The program "CPUZ"
can be used in Windows, to verify exactly what is going on.
But you only boot into Windows, when the system is known to be
stable. So use CPUZ with your first attempts to overclock
(the 205MHz thing), and use CPUZ to verify the arithmetic
behind what is happening to the clocks. CPUZ can be downloaded
from cpuid.com .

4) Voltages matter. The CPU has Vcore voltage adjustment. The
memory has Vdimm voltage adjustment. Only use extra voltage when
necessary. Increase the CPU frequency, until memtest86+ won't
boot, or your Knoppix or Ubuntu CD won't boot or crashes.
Turn up Vcore in the BIOS, on the next POST. Adjust by one
or two steps, keeping in mind that the processor has a stated
absolute max that you should not go past. Since you're bumping
the clock in 5MHz steps, now you can take a piece of graph
paper, and plot frequency on one axis, and voltage on the
other. The slope of the line will give you an estimate of
how much voltage buys how many more MHz. This will make it
easier to estimate how to hit the next overclocking targets.

The plot also has a characteristic to it. For example, my
processor has a "brick wall". It uses very little extra
voltage, and at a certain, magic point, it won't go any
faster. I can apply lots more voltage, and it won't get me
anywhere. Since I can see this on my graph paper, it tells
me that I've hit a limit. Other processors have a more
gradual slope, and eventually you start to worry that
you're cooking the thing. So you stop because the room is
getting too warm :-)

Adjusting RAM timing is another topic, but for not, start with
some modest overclocking attempts, and master the basics. You
should be able to turn the knob by 10%, without having to adjust
too much stuff.

HTH,
Paul

"Peter van der Goes" wrote in message
. ..

Old March 7th 08, 08:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 19:45:20 -0500, Ritter 197 wrote:

My computer is an AMD 2.20 gigahertz Athlon 64X2 Dual core. The MB is an
ASUSTek NODUSM3 1.05, bus Clock 199 megahertz, BIOS is Phoenix Tech LTD
3.06 07/14/2006

I am using WindowsXP.

Does this help?

"Peter van der Goes" wrote in message
"Ritter 197" wrote in message
. ..
How do I overclock an AMD CPU?

Put in a memtest boot floppy or cdromm before making any changes. This
will keep from screwing up your HDD if when you screw up.
In the bios.
1. Lower base ram bus speed 1 level (33MHz real speed).
2. Lower HT bus speed 1 level (from 5x to 4x).
3. Raise vcore .1v from default.
4. Raise system bus speed from 200MHz to 233MHz.

Should boot at 11x233.33MHz, about 2567MHz.

Now that's a very very simple overclock. And it doesn't touch on the
benefits and hazards of doing it. This small OC shouldn't cause any
problems, but you never know til you start overclocking a system. If it
doesn't boot, you'll probably have to clear cmos, boot and try changing
some settings. It would be wise to undersatnd what these settings are and
what they do before you get in over your head. There's tons of good (and
bad) info on overclocking on the web.

1. Sets the base ram bus lower because raisng the system clock will also
raises other clocks.
2. Same as above for the HT bus.
3. Generally more vcore for higher cpu speeds. Will vary. May not even
need to raise it. .1v won't hurt it.
4. Pretty self explanatory.

Old March 9th 08, 12:43 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ritter 197

Thanks a lot for detailed feedback. I will print it out and try to follow
your recommendations.

Thanks again

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Ritter 197 wrote:
[...]