Serial ATA to IDE converter

Old June 23rd 07, 08:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
czm

Default Serial ATA to IDE converter

After installing this converter the bios see's the drive but after
booting into winxp it doesn't show up. Partition Magic 8 can't
see it. When I say bios see's it I mean when the computer is
starting up it the screen show's it's installed and I can press the
tab key and get into the raid setup where it show's up but say's
there are not enough drives for raid. When I press del key
during setup and check bios there isn't anything that I can see
to enable the sata drive. Can someone advise me how to use
this drive?

thanks
czm

Old June 23rd 07, 10:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

czm wrote:
After installing this converter the bios see's the drive but after
booting into winxp it doesn't show up. Partition Magic 8 can't
see it. When I say bios see's it I mean when the computer is
starting up it the screen show's it's installed and I can press the
tab key and get into the raid setup where it show's up but say's
there are not enough drives for raid. When I press del key
during setup and check bios there isn't anything that I can see
to enable the sata drive. Can someone advise me how to use
this drive?

thanks
czm

Serial ATA to IDE converter make and model number ?
URL of the place where you bought it ?

Make and model of motherboard ?

Which connector on the motherboard, is the converter and HDD
connected to ?

*******
In situations where a RAID connector is the only thing
available, the controller might be RAID0/RAID1 only, in
which case you'd be out of luck with one disk. Sometimes
you can select "JBOD" or Just a Bunch Of Disks, and use
a single disk in that mode. And sometimes, just the fact
that the disk is not a member of an array, makes it
available as a single disk in Windows.

If the drive is just a data drive, a RAID management
application running in Windows, can do the same kinds
of operations that the RAID BIOS offers. But in order
to use the RAID management software, the RAID driver
for the hardware chip, would have to be installed.

There are many possibilities.

The use of a converter, increases the number of
things that can go wrong. Not all converters work
properly.

Paul
Old June 24th 07, 04:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
czm

"Paul" wrote in message ...

Serial ATA to IDE converter make and model number ?
URL of the place where you bought it ?

That's IDE to SATA instead od SATA to IDE
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SIL3611&cpc=SCH

Make and model of motherboard ?

ABIT KV7-V

Which connector on the motherboard, is the converter and HDD
connected to ?

SATA1

Old June 24th 07, 01:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

czm wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message ...
Serial ATA to IDE converter make and model number ?
URL of the place where you bought it ?

That's IDE to SATA instead od SATA to IDE
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SIL3611&cpc=SCH
Make and model of motherboard ?

ABIT KV7-V
Which connector on the motherboard, is the converter and HDD
connected to ?

SATA1

It is a lucky thing that one of the pictures for the adapter
has an interesting name:

http://www.geeks.com/imageshare/S/30...IL3611-BOX.jpg

Datasheet is from 2002.

http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/SiI-PB-0024.pdf

The same chip is apparently used in the Abit Serillel2, so
you can Google on that product name, to find more comments
about how well the SIL3611 adapter chips work. In the figure
on the left, the tiny text suggests setting the drive to
MASTER.

http://web.archive.org/web/200306230...rillel_new.php

The K7V-V appears to have a VIA 8237 for disk I/O.

The article here implies a RAID driver is used, even if
one disk is present. For the single disk to appear in
WinXP, you'll need the VRAID package download from
viaarena.com . Give that a try. SATA ports should be
enabled in the BIOS ("Onchip SATA Device" [Enabled]).

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...5&ArticleID=93
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...icleID=467&P=2

HTH,
Paul
Old June 25th 07, 12:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
czm

"Paul" wrote in message ...

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...5&ArticleID=93
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...icleID=467&P=2

HTH,
Paul

Thanks Paul, the drivers got it working. It even works booting with Win98
startup disk. The package says "no need driver" so I wasn't expecting to
need drivers. It also said I can hot swap drives, but I wonder if I should?

Thanks again
czm

Old June 25th 07, 04:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

czm wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message ...
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...5&ArticleID=93
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...icleID=467&P=2

HTH,
Paul

Thanks Paul, the drivers got it working. It even works booting with Win98
startup disk. The package says "no need driver" so I wasn't expecting to
need drivers. It also said I can hot swap drives, but I wonder if I should?

Thanks again
czm

I wonder if hot swapping would really work smoothly under Win98 ?

I think I'd just be happy it was working :-) That is a big
enough accomplishment.

Paul
Old July 5th 07, 12:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Mike Tomlinson

In article , czm
writes

Thanks Paul, the drivers got it working. It even works booting with Win98
startup disk. The package says "no need driver" so I wasn't expecting to
need drivers.

The dongle doesn't need drivers, but your motherboards's serial ATA
controller does.

It also said I can hot swap drives, but I wonder if I should?

No. Hot-swap requires OS, driver and hardware support. You might get
away with it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

--
(\__/) Bunny says NO to Windows Vista!
(='.'=) http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

Old July 8th 07, 12:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
czm

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
In article , czm
writes

The dongle doesn't need drivers, but your motherboards's serial ATA
controller does.

It also said I can hot swap drives, but I wonder if I should?

No. Hot-swap requires OS, driver and hardware support. You might get
away with it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

--
(\__/) Bunny says NO to Windows Vista!
(='.'=) http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html
(")_(")

I'm running Windows XP. I've only booted to windows 98 to see
if the drive is still there and it is. Hot swapping works in Win_XP.

Have you noticed all the refurbished Seagate drives for sale at Geeks.com?
It makes me wonder if the new drives are worth buying or even if I should
buy a Maxtor drive since they merged.

Has anyone bought a Seagate or Maxtor drive lately and had good or bad
luck? Let me know.
czm

Old August 15th 07, 05:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Zyp

czm wrote:
[...]

Recently bought several drives at FRY's Electronic$. There were Maxtor's -
factory sealed.

--
Zyp