connection question about hp pavilion zv5000 laptop

Old March 24th 07, 01:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Hollywood

Default connection question about hp pavilion zv5000 laptop

Hi,

I replaced the failed 30 gig hard drive in the laptop with a new 60 gig one
I got from newegg. I installed xp home with the dvd that came with the
laptop. I then installed the drivers that came with the driver dvd.
All ok in device manager except for nic card. Went to hp web site
and downloaded updated driver, and now the yellow exclamation
point went away.

I have a router, wifi, with bellsouth service. I use it on 2 pc's, and a
compaq laptop. the pc's connect via cat 5, one is windows ME, and
the other is XP Home. Both work fine. Laptop is wifi, and it works
fine, too, with XP Home.

Back to the pavilion, the wifi doesn't see any wifi signal. Its as if
the wifi was turned off, but i don't see a switch on the case anywhere,
and there was nothing about it in the bios that i could find.
Plugging in the cat 5 cable also results in no connection. The cable
is good and working because i pulled it directly from the ME pc
and plugged it into the laptop.

I tried the network internet wizard a few times with no success.

Any ideas on how to proceed? Everything else seems to be
working fine, but i didn't try dialing up anything yet. Also, there
is no software installed yet. I thought I'd see if i can get it to connect
before installing software because that would complicat things further,
and i'm not all that great at this so the simpler the better.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Mike

Old March 25th 07, 10:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
~Mike Hollywood

I got the wifi going.
still working on the cat5 problem.