compaq presario laptop

Old December 20th 06, 02:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
theauctioneer

Default compaq presario laptop

I just picked up a 1694 laptop and when I plug it in I get nothing..
the light is on the power cord but the laptop does nothing.. I am
thinking that is could only be the cord or maybe a bad battery.
Anyone have any suggestions on this.. thanks

Old December 20th 06, 03:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor

In article , theauctioneer says...
I just picked up a 1694 laptop and when I plug it in I get nothing..
the light is on the power cord but the laptop does nothing.. I am
thinking that is could only be the cord or maybe a bad battery.
Anyone have any suggestions on this.. thanks

A dead battery wouldn't stop the laptop from firing up.

--
Conor

"You're not married,you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart
Old December 20th 06, 06:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

theauctioneer wrote:

I just picked up a 1694 laptop and when I plug it in I get nothing..
the light is on the power cord but the laptop does nothing.. I am
thinking that is could only be the cord or maybe a bad battery.

It can be plenty of other things too, dead motherboard particularly.

Anyone have any suggestions on this.. thanks

Just go thru the possibilitys systematically, try a new power pack, try
a new battery etc, decide that its the motherboard if they dont help.

Obviously easier to say than do if that laptop is all you have.

Old December 21st 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
OSbandito

theauctioneer wrote:

I just picked up a 1694 laptop and when I plug it in I get nothing..
the light is on the power cord but the laptop does nothing.. I am
thinking that is could only be the cord or maybe a bad battery.
Anyone have any suggestions on this.. thanks

I think Davy had a good thought on stressed connectors but I might first
try a few things. (PS: you ought to give a little more info, incl.
whether you are confident to open up the unit and make changes/tests.)

Remove the battery. Check the unit with a working plugin pwr. adapter.
If this is a used unit, the seller may have provided you with the wrong
power-pack (AC). Make sure your harddrive is plugged in. Remove it and
re-seat it.

Take a good lookmat the jack to which the power cord connects. It may be
loose. Try tilting the power plug at the computer (just a little
pressure) as you try to start the machine.

If still ng, I think the unit may have been dropped and Davy may be
right about a cracked connector. If you open up the bottom-plate, check
first that any connectors, cards are fully seated.

Compaq Presario hard drive in a dell laptop? [email protected] Storage (alternative) 1 July 6th 06 11:00 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 November 27th 04 12:50 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 November 20th 04 01:05 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 September 23rd 04 12:21 PM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM