pc3200 memory.. always rated for 400mhz fsb?

Old March 31st 04, 10:37 PM
BigBadger

Looking at it that way even PC1600 memory is rated for a 400MHz
'FSB'....(with a FSB / Memory ratio of 4/1)

"Hippy Paul" wrote in message

"BigBadger" wrote in message
No memory in the world is rated for 400MHz......PC3200 runs at 200MHz.

The
400DDR is just marketing BS.

Yeah it is, but it is so prevalent that even some overclocking websites

have
things like "400mhz fsb" in their sales blurb when they mean pc3200 - I

was
just going to let it slide as I knew what they meant,

But if we are all going to be pedantic - if there were such a thing as
400mhz fsb in the amd world, the memory could be run at a fsb/memory ratio
of 2:1 - so the answer is still yes.
- but you would still have to get CAS right

Old March 31st 04, 11:30 PM
Ben Pope

johny wrote:
Yes PC3200 memory is for 400FSB

As I have already said the memory is rated for 200MHz on the MEMORY BUS, the
FSB connects the CPU to the Northbridge. The memory is not connectewd to
the FSB and thus cannot be rated for it. Saying that the memory is rated
for 200MHz FSB is as useful as saying that it's rated for 200MPH.

NO PC3200 memory does not operate at 400MHZ, its a DUAL CHANNEL 200MHZ.

Incorrect, the 400 comes from 200 * 2 transfers per cycle, which is DDR.
Dual Channel is a doubling of the bus width. The memory bus and the FSB are
both DDR on Athlon XP systems. On nForce2 systems, the memory bus can also
be dual channel.

The problem is, a lot of people don't understand the difference between
FSB and Memory Bus.

Like you. :-p

Dictionary says: Short for Front Side Bus, FSB is also known as the
Processor Bus, Memory Bus, or System Bus connects the CPU with the main
memory and is used to connect to other components within the computer.
The FSB can range from speeds of 66 MHz, 133 MHz, 100 MHz, 266 MHz, 400
MHz, and up.

The FSB in most conventional, modern x86 systems (we're excluding the AMD64
systems as they don't really have a FSB) connects the CPU to the
Northbridge. The Northbridge has in it the memory controller. The memory
controller is connected to the memory via the memory bus.

Okay now, I'm confused myself, what the heck is Processor Bus, Memory Bus
and System bus.

The dictionary offers a generic description for many architectures. It's
confusing when talking about the x86.

Ben

Old April 1st 04, 08:52 AM
Ben Pope

JustMe wrote:
Since some of you guys seem to know what your talking about. Please help
me with this.

My Biostar M7NCD Pro Mb manual says that if I want DDR 128bit at least 2
modules must be installed in slots A1 and B1 or B2. With only one stick
its 64bit. So I have 2 sticks of 512mb installed in Dimm a1 and Dimm b1.
Sandra reports one stick in Bank 1 and one stick in Bank 2
channels 2, speed 2x133 (266mhz data rate), multiplier 4/6x, width
64-bit., PC2100U

Why isn't it running at 128bit?

Your channels are 64bit, you have 2. You can do the math :-)

Ben