eMachines 6410 Desktop Power Supply

Old October 23rd 06, 03:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Chris

Default eMachines 6410 Desktop Power Supply

All,

I have an emachines 6410, and the power supply sounds as if it's about to
freakin take off!

I was on emachine's site to look for replacements, and I can't settle on
what I really need to buy to change this out.

This is the power supply eMachines sells as a replacement:

http://parts.emachines.com/emachines...oduct_id=69081

It also states that I should replace the CPU fan as well along with the PS.

Can I take out the CPU fan and PS and go to Compusa or the like and walk out
with suitable replacements? Or am I stuck having to order this stuff
directly from eMachines?

Thanks!

Chris

Old October 23rd 06, 07:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

1. This is a Dell newsgroup, not eMachines.

2. The pictured power supply resembles a standard ATX12v power supply.

3. The CPU fan is probably a standard one.

4. You have to figure out the source of the noise. It may be the cooling fan,
not the fan inside the power supply. The actions you would take are different.
Open up the case, power up the computer, and place your finger on the top of the
CPU cooling fan to slow it down or even stop it. What happens to the noise when
you do this.

5. You do not have to replace BOTH. Replace the one that makes the noise,
probably due to dust and dirt inside the computer, but possibly due to a worn
out cheap component. EMachines power supplies are notable for being really
chintzy, although the rest of the hardware inside an eMachines box is usually
pretty good quality.

6. I'd bet that your system could stand to have its insides cleaned thoroughly.
Use a can of commercial compressed air (from CompUSA, Staples) and a cheap
artist's paint brush to knock out the dust bunnies... Ben Myers

Old October 24th 06, 11:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Chris

Ah - very sorry for the mis-post - wasnt watching what I was doing.

I did fix my problem - bought a standard ATX 400 Watt PS. I got raped
though - went to CompUsa...was in a bit of a bind.

I dont see how those guys stay in business with the prices they charge - 60
bucks!

Chris

Old October 25th 06, 03:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

CompUSA stays in business for the same reason convenience store stay in
business: Convenience. What else? ... Ben Myers

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 18:07:08 -0400, "Chris" wrote:

Ah - very sorry for the mis-post - wasnt watching what I was doing.

I did fix my problem - bought a standard ATX 400 Watt PS. I got raped
though - went to CompUsa...was in a bit of a bind.

I dont see how those guys stay in business with the prices they charge - 60
bucks!

Chris
.. .