presario laptop

Old January 9th 04, 05:43 PM
andrew2000

Default presario laptop

I have a Compaq Presario 12xl223 laptop(600 MHz) that could use a little
more life. Opened it up and seen that the processor is a socket 370,
nothing special about it.
I have a 766 MHz processor on my shelf here that will drop right in, but
the bios will not recognize it. is there another bios out there I can use to
flash mine so I can have a few more options? The current bios is Phoenix
4.06, Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Old January 9th 04, 08:05 PM
mcheu

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 16:43:22 GMT, "andrew2000"
wrote::

I have a Compaq Presario 12xl223 laptop(600 MHz) that could use a little
more life. Opened it up and seen that the processor is a socket 370,
nothing special about it.
I have a 766 MHz processor on my shelf here that will drop right in, but
the bios will not recognize it. is there another bios out there I can use to
flash mine so I can have a few more options? The current bios is Phoenix
4.06, Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Possibly because socket 370 is an Intel socket. Athlons are not pin
compatible with Intel CPUs.
Thanks,
MCheu
Old January 10th 04, 02:39 AM
andrew2000

thanks, but it is a socket 370- 600mhz Celeron processor in the laptop now -
I want to replace it with a socket 370- 766 MHz Celeron processor. They are
interchangeable as long as I can get the BIOS to accept the new one.

Old January 10th 04, 09:16 PM
MCheu

"andrew2000" wrote in message news:kJILb.477$Eq.385@clgrps12...
"mcheu" wrote in message

Possibly because socket 370 is an Intel socket. Athlons are not pin
compatible with Intel CPUs.
Thanks,
MCheu

thanks, but it is a socket 370- 600mhz Celeron processor in the laptop now -
I want to replace it with a socket 370- 766 MHz Celeron processor. They are
interchangeable as long as I can get the BIOS to accept the new one.

You have to admit, my conclusion wasn't unreasonable given the name of
the newsgroup you're posting in and that you never mentioned what CPU
you were going to replace the chip with.

I doubt that you're going to be able to force a BIOS update. Laptops
are notorious for being unupgradeable (exception being recent ones by
AlienWare), and Compaqs being the worst of the bunch.

Since Compaq pretty much lobotomizes the BIOS in its machines (I own
one of their notebooks), one option is to use a program to sidestep
the BIOS Setup. Most times, the missing BIOS options aren't missing,
they're just hidden. This site details some of these programs:

http://www.sysopt.com/biosmod.html

Of course, this may prove to be a problem if you can't get the
notebook to boot. If it's just that the wrong CPU ID is being
displayed during bootup, but the system's otherwise working, count
yourself lucky. Run a benchmark and see if you're getting any
improvement. If the BIOS doesn't have an ID for that chip, you're not
going to get it to display the right name.
Old January 10th 04, 10:34 PM
andrew2000

Thanks for the info, I will give the site a try. I have been looking for a
site like this for a while. I appreciate the help.
Andrew

om...