Rules for replacement under warranty?

Old July 13th 06, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Alanz

Default Rules for replacement under warranty?

Hi,

I am just curious about what is the law regarding the replacement of a
product that is still under warranty.
I had an ASUS motherboard (A7N266-VM) which stopped working while still
in warranty period. The service centre said that it was irrepairable
hence they replaced it by another one (A7V400-MX).The replacement did
not seem to be a new one.
Anyways, this one too stopped working after a month and instead of
repairing they gave me another one (A7V400-MX SE, seemingly not new
again) . Now this one is having problem with the Audio output.

I have two questions -
Am I entitled to get a brand new (as in - packed in a box) motherboard?
or is it okay for them to give me some other working board which is not
new?

Is it okay that they give me some other model of the motherboard
compatible with my existing hardware ?

regards.

Old July 13th 06, 11:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

Alanz wrote:
Hi,

I am just curious about what is the law regarding the replacement of a
product that is still under warranty.
I had an ASUS motherboard (A7N266-VM) which stopped working while
still in warranty period. The service centre said that it was
irrepairable hence they replaced it by another one (A7V400-MX).The
replacement did not seem to be a new one.
Anyways, this one too stopped working after a month and instead of
repairing they gave me another one (A7V400-MX SE, seemingly not new
again) . Now this one is having problem with the Audio output.

I have two questions -
Am I entitled to get a brand new (as in - packed in a box) motherboard?

Not in any country as far as I am aware.

or is it okay for them to give me some other working board which is not new?

Yes.

Is it okay that they give me some other model of the
motherboard compatible with my existing hardware ?

As long as it isnt an inferior motherboard.

Old July 14th 06, 04:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On 13 Jul 2006 12:34:12 -0700, "Alanz"
wrote:

Hi,

I am just curious about what is the law regarding the replacement of a
product that is still under warranty.
I had an ASUS motherboard (A7N266-VM) which stopped working while still
in warranty period. The service centre said that it was irrepairable
hence they replaced it by another one (A7V400-MX).The replacement did
not seem to be a new one.

You are only entitled to a new replacement if the warranty
specifies it. However, the A7V400-MX is not as good a
board, performs worse and would be a minor downgrade.
However, the difference may not be worth fighting the
warrantor over instead of just being glad to get anything
that works.

Anyways, this one too stopped working after a month and instead of
repairing they gave me another one (A7V400-MX SE, seemingly not new
again) . Now this one is having problem with the Audio output.

You should not be having problems within a month. Is it
overheating? Is the power supply poor quality or
overburdened by upgrades you have made?

What has changed?
Audio can be fickle, onboard especially can be effected by
software changes and it is often good to do a temporary
clean install of windows to the original config with
original driver to see if it improves (including removal of
any new parts and changing all physical things back to the
original config too).

Unfortunately onboard audio is typically low quality and
best seen as a *free* feature. When it doesn't work you're
best off to just buy a $15 sound card if not a nicer one.

I have two questions -
Am I entitled to get a brand new (as in - packed in a box) motherboard?

Probably not.

or is it okay for them to give me some other working board which is not
new?

Probably, the only exception would be if they'd guaranteed
you get new replacement as part of the original guarantee
under which the system was purchased, not a verbal assurance
by some tech later.

Is it okay that they give me some other model of the motherboard
compatible with my existing hardware ?

Depends on the original warranty. They probably made some
allowance for this to happen, but if there is no source for
the same board they don't have any other option either,
except perhaps to refund the value of the board which is
practically nothing as an aged and used part.

For only a sound problem, I wouldn't bother reinstalling
windows or anything else, just uninstall the audio driver
from add/remove programs, reboot and disable audio in the
bios, then install a sound card.
Old July 14th 06, 05:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
UCLAN

Alanz wrote:

I am just curious about what is the law regarding the replacement of a
product that is still under warranty.
I had an ASUS motherboard (A7N266-VM) which stopped working while still
in warranty period. The service centre said that it was irrepairable
hence they replaced it by another one (A7V400-MX).The replacement did
not seem to be a new one.
Anyways, this one too stopped working after a month and instead of
repairing they gave me another one (A7V400-MX SE, seemingly not new
again) . Now this one is having problem with the Audio output.

I have two questions -
Am I entitled to get a brand new (as in - packed in a box) motherboard?
or is it okay for them to give me some other working board which is not
new?

Is it okay that they give me some other model of the motherboard
compatible with my existing hardware ?

What does your warranty state?