Athlon XP's(socket A): slated for obsolescence?

Old October 11th 03, 09:17 AM
Wblane

Default Athlon XP's(socket A): slated for obsolescence?

Does anyone know if AMD plans on releasing faster Athlon XP's? Or are socket A
XP's going the way of the K6 (out of production)? Personally, I'd like to see
some faster Bartons (why not 3 Ghz?). AMD's processor roadmap shows Bartons as
being produced thru the 2nd half of '04' but not whether or not there will be
any faster Bartons.
Old October 11th 03, 09:55 AM
James Paraskeva

lets take a punt... and say that XPs will make it to 3800-4000 rating just
like the P4(end of 2004)

Old October 11th 03, 12:48 PM
AD C

Wblane wrote:

Does anyone know if AMD plans on releasing faster Athlon XP's? Or are socket A
XP's going the way of the K6 (out of production)? Personally, I'd like to see
some faster Bartons (why not 3 Ghz?). AMD's processor roadmap shows Bartons as
being produced thru the 2nd half of '04' but not whether or not there will be
any faster Bartons.

It will be with us for a while yet, once the 64 bit ones get to the mass
market, then AMD will no doubt rebadge the Athlons as budget chips.

Old October 11th 03, 05:44 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:17:19 +0000, Wblane wrote:

Does anyone know if AMD plans on releasing faster Athlon XP's? Or are socket A
XP's going the way of the K6 (out of production)? Personally, I'd like to see
some faster Bartons (why not 3 Ghz?). AMD's processor roadmap shows Bartons as
being produced thru the 2nd half of '04' but not whether or not there will be
any faster Bartons.

There are no new cores in the works for 32bit, so it's pretty easy to
guess that you won't be seeing any significantly faster XP's, if any
faster at all. "Why not 3 Ghz?" Simple. The core won't even come close
that speed. AFAIC, they've streched the 3200+ rating of the last Barton.
The A64 3200+ beats it to death and the FX51 kills the A64 3200+. But
before things change much Intel will have to get back in the game, and the
P4EE doesn't get them there. Until then, prices for the high end FX chips
will remain high and AMD won't bring much more to the table. So is this
right? Only time will tell.:-)

Old October 11th 03, 06:34 PM
Sir Basil

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:17:19 +0000, Wblane wrote:

Does anyone know if AMD plans on releasing faster Athlon XP's? Or are

socket A
XP's going the way of the K6 (out of production)? Personally, I'd like

to see
some faster Bartons (why not 3 Ghz?). AMD's processor roadmap shows

Bartons as
being produced thru the 2nd half of '04' but not whether or not there

will be
any faster Bartons.

There are no new cores in the works for 32bit, so it's pretty easy to
guess that you won't be seeing any significantly faster XP's, if any
faster at all. "Why not 3 Ghz?" Simple. The core won't even come close
that speed. AFAIC, they've streched the 3200+ rating of the last Barton.
The A64 3200+ beats it to death and the FX51 kills the A64 3200+

What motherboard takes the FX51?

SB

Old October 11th 03, 09:48 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 18:34:12 +0100, Sir Basil wrote:

What motherboard takes the FX51?

Socket 940. But make sure you can get the cpu first. I hear the demand is
much greater than the supply, at least in the UK. They are said to have
already sold out their first batch and don't have an eta on another yet.
Also, sometime next year, it looks like they will change to a 939 pin
socket for a newer version of the cpu that will use unregistered ram.

Old October 12th 03, 01:53 AM
DougH

What motherboard takes the FX51?
=20

The ASUS SK8N for one. I've seen Opterons being sold on a board by =
Tyan. Look for companies that make Socket 940 boards.

DougH