How to fit a laptop hard drive onto a desktop unit.

Old December 7th 05, 08:15 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default How to fit a laptop hard drive onto a desktop unit.

Is there a way to connect a laptop hard drive to desktop computer?

I am having problems getting a restore CD to work on an IBM thinkpad
laptop computer. It has proprietary external CD rom that does not
want to play nice. I have a drive image of the hard drive that I
would like to get onto the laptop hard drive.
Old December 7th 05, 08:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Is there a way to connect a laptop hard drive to desktop computer?

Yes. Use network connection between laptop and a desktop.

I am having problems getting a restore CD to work on an IBM thinkpad
laptop computer.

Thinkpad model number?

It has proprietary external CD rom that does not
want to play nice. I have a drive image of the hard drive that I
would like to get onto the laptop hard drive.

Do you know how image was created?

Old December 7th 05, 08:37 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

JC wrote

Is there a way to connect a laptop hard drive to desktop computer?

Yes, you need an adapter to convert the connector basically.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD
quite a few on ebay too
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...rclo=&saprchi=

I am having problems getting a restore CD to work on an IBM
thinkpad laptop computer. It has proprietary external CD rom
that does not want to play nice. I have a drive image of the
hard drive that I would like to get onto the laptop hard drive.

Yes, that is a viable way of doing what you want to do.

Old December 7th 05, 11:29 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 14:36:10 -0500, "Peter"
wrote:

Is there a way to connect a laptop hard drive to desktop computer?

Yes. Use network connection between laptop and a desktop.

That would work if I had an OS system that was working on the Laptop.
But that is what I am trying to restore

I am having problems getting a restore CD to work on an IBM thinkpad
laptop computer.

Thinkpad model number?

It is a Thinkpad 240

It has proprietary external CD rom that does not
want to play nice. I have a drive image of the hard drive that I
would like to get onto the laptop hard drive.

Do you know how image was created?

The image was created with Drive Image 5.0 in DOS. At least older
versions of Drive Image you can create 2 floppy disks, one the boot
disk and one the program that you can create the image with.
Old December 7th 05, 11:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 06:37:30 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

JC wrote

Is there a way to connect a laptop hard drive to desktop computer?

Yes, you need an adapter to convert the connector basically.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD
quite a few on ebay too
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...rclo=&saprchi=

Thanks! That is just what I was looking for.

Old December 7th 05, 11:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

JC wrote
Peter wrote

Is there a way to connect a laptop hard drive to desktop computer?

Yes. Use network connection between laptop and a desktop.

That would work if I had an OS system that was working on the Laptop.

That isnt the only way to do that. If Ghost 10 or 9 will boot
off the CD you will be able to restore the DI 5 image over
the network with nothing on the laptop hard drive at all.

But that is what I am trying to restore

You dont necessarily need any OS on the laptop.

I am having problems getting a restore CD
to work on an IBM thinkpad laptop computer.

Yeah, DI 5 isnt easy to get going in that situation.

Ghost 9 and 10 are much easier and they will restore a DI 5 image.

Thinkpad model number?

It is a Thinkpad 240

It has proprietary external CD rom that does not want to play nice.

Ghost 9 and 10 use Bart PE on the bootable CD
so it may well boot the CD fine in that situation.

I have a drive image of the hard drive that I
would like to get onto the laptop hard drive.

Do you know how image was created?

The image was created with Drive Image 5.0 in DOS. At least older
versions of Drive Image you can create 2 floppy disks, one the boot
disk and one the program that you can create the image with.

And you can burn an image to CD and that CD is bootable.
Doesnt matter what that image is, it may well boot on the T240
and you may be able to restore the image over the network. Gets
a bit tricky with DI tho if the NIC in the T240 isnt natively supported.

Much easier with Ghost 9 and 10, it should be able
to boot on the T240 and see the network fine.

Old December 7th 05, 11:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

JC wrote:
On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 06:37:30 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

JC wrote

Is there a way to connect a laptop hard drive to desktop computer?

Yes, you need an adapter to convert the connector basically.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD
quite a few on ebay too
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...rclo=&saprchi=

Thanks! That is just what I was looking for.

Ghost 9 and 10 would be easier in the sense that you
can do it without buying anything if you can network
the laptop and desktop with what you have already.

Dont think the trial version will do the restore but Ghost
is available using emule or torrent. Obviously not legal tho.