Linksys Broadband Firewall Router - But does it have a firewall ? ? ? ?

Old November 10th 05, 04:21 AM
Starz_Kid

Default Linksys Broadband Firewall Router - But does it have a firewall ? ? ? ?

Hello Group, I've had this Linksys Firewall Router lying around for about a
year and decided to install due to an increase (??) in virus attacks on the
Adelphia network...

The model is: BEFSX41

I installed the router A.O.K. and it seemed to work...! Then I looked in
the package and found this CD-r with a copy of Nortons Internet Security /
with the Norton's Software Firewall.

Well, I thought... if the Router has a hardware firewall... WHY would I need
a software firewall ? ? ?

So......... my question is does the Linksys router have a hardware
firewall. And why would they package a software firewall ????

Do I really need the Norton's Software as it crashed my computer after I
installed it... as a matter of fact, the install did not even complete..!

Anyone.....!

Starz_Kid...

Old November 10th 05, 09:44 AM
kony

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 03:21:16 GMT, "Starz_Kid"
wrote:

Hello Group, I've had this Linksys Firewall Router lying around for about a
year and decided to install due to an increase (??) in virus attacks on the
Adelphia network...

The model is: BEFSX41

I installed the router A.O.K. and it seemed to work...! Then I looked in
the package and found this CD-r with a copy of Nortons Internet Security /
with the Norton's Software Firewall.

It's a CD-R, not a regular stamped CD?
That seems a bit odd, are you sure nobody else made this
CD-R and threw it into the box?

Might be a trial version or something like that.

Well, I thought... if the Router has a hardware firewall... WHY would I need
a software firewall ? ? ?

Software firewalls tend to have more user configuration
possible than the typical consumer grade router. They also
make it possible to block outbound traffic more
discriminately. However, I don't know if that one does, and
in general Norton's stuff is overbloated and a resource hog-
I suggest you NOT install it, even if you didn't have the
hardware firewall.

So......... my question is does the Linksys router have a hardware
firewall. And why would they package a software firewall ????

yes that basic function is inherant in it being a router.
Which further controls in incoming or outgoing port
block/allow and other types of controls can vary per router
and firmware. Basically, you first need to define what you
want/need to do then see if the router allows for it.

Do I really need the Norton's Software as it crashed my computer after I
installed it... as a matter of fact, the install did not even complete..!

If you want a software firewall, avoid it, and the McAfee
stuff and seek alternatives with a Google search for "best
software firewall". You will still, first need to define
what capabilities you want/need out of one.

you wrote "virus attacks" but the typical virus is not going
to be guarded against by ANY firewall. The key to that is
to use applications that limit or disallow, don't support
virus exploitation. In other words, running safe code only.
Some software like IE or OE, will by default run unsafe code
so if insecure apps are necessary then they should be
configured and limited as much as possible.

In other words, the best hardware firewall, software
firewall, and antivirus program in the world is not likely
to keep you safe in high-risk situations, like if you ran a
default configuration of IE and visited a malicious website.

Old November 10th 05, 11:05 AM

Starz_Kid wrote:
Hello Group, I've had this Linksys Firewall Router lying around for about a
year and decided to install due to an increase (??) in virus attacks on the
Adelphia network...

The model is: BEFSX41

I installed the router A.O.K. and it seemed to work...! Then I looked in
the package and found this CD-r with a copy of Nortons Internet Security /
with the Norton's Software Firewall.

Well, I thought... if the Router has a hardware firewall... WHY would I need
a software firewall ? ? ?

yeah, a lof of home routers mnowadays don't just do routig, they have
built inm firewalls.

a software one(PFW-personal firewall) and a hardware firewall(cheap one
in a home router). I guess both are v imperfect.

Though your softtware firewall would give you more info on what is
outgoing. this can be a nuisane. Blocking incoming is important.
Win XP firewall does that. A default enabled NAT function in your
router will naturally do that. the firewall within can be set to block
incoming. this is more secure than the NAT function for blocking
incoming.

So......... my question is does the Linksys router have a hardware
firewall.

And why would they package a software firewall ????

to make it look good. like you're getting more for your money. maybe
norton and linksys have a mutually beneficial deal. I imagine norton
paying linksys , it's marketting.

Do I really need the Norton's Software as it crashed my computer after I
installed it... as a matter of fact, the install did not even complete..!

avoid norton. there's no way that you need it.

Old November 11th 05, 01:30 AM
DaveW

Yes, the Linksys is a 'hardware" firewall, which acts in a different way
than a software firewall. Ideally everyone with a broadband connection
should use BOTH. The hardware firewall prevents snooper packets on the
internet from identifying the various inbound ports on your computer and
downloading evil software that can take control of your system, etc. (Bots.)
The software firewall works such that if you download an e-mail or visit a
WWW site that contains a Trojan or other malware that is allowed to download
(note: the hardware firewall would NOT stop this type of activity), the
software firewall will prevent the malware from connecting Outwards and
sending your private information/data from your computer to their
pre-designated web site.

--
DaveW

----------------
m...

Old November 11th 05, 05:08 AM
S.Heenan

Starz_Kid wrote:
Hello Group, I've had this Linksys Firewall Router lying around for
about a year and decided to install due to an increase (??) in virus
attacks on the Adelphia network...

The model is: BEFSX41

I installed the router A.O.K. and it seemed to work...! Then I
looked in the package and found this CD-r with a copy of Nortons
Internet Security / with the Norton's Software Firewall.

Well, I thought... if the Router has a hardware firewall... WHY would
I need a software firewall ? ? ?

So......... my question is does the Linksys router have a hardware
firewall. And why would they package a software firewall ????

Do I really need the Norton's Software as it crashed my computer
after I installed it... as a matter of fact, the install did not even
complete..!

Yes, it does use a hardware, SPI firewall.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/Revie...ID-BEFSX41.php

You could use it with the Windows XP SP2 firewall, however it's probably not
necessary.

Old November 12th 05, 04:49 AM
Starz_Kid

"Starz_Kid" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Hello Group, Thanks to all who responded...!

Starz_Kid...

cisco router vs linksys vs cisco firewall ALEXB General 0 June 5th 05 01:30 PM
NTL to PC and Xbox Scott Homebuilt PC's 8 September 14th 04 09:53 AM
Cisco News Ya'll MemoryDealers General 0 April 21st 04 04:14 PM
dsl with router yankeedam General Hardware 0 January 21st 04 02:17 AM
Firewall/router suggestions? Phrederik General 3 September 28th 03 04:00 AM