Biostar Tforce 4U problem with starting my PC after duel core upgrade.

Old April 7th 08, 03:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
number3

Default Biostar Tforce 4U problem with starting my PC after duel core upgrade.

To make a long story short. After swapping my 89 watt opteron 148
(single core 2200mhz) for a 110 watt opteron 180 (duel core 2400mhz)
my computer no longer responds to the start button on my case. The
system started normally after the BIOS updates needed for dual core
support on my socket 939 Biostar Tforce 4U (NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra
chipset). The only change I made was the new CPU, and when I went to
start my computer the power button did not work. After 5 minutes of
pushing the power & reset buttons I was about to give up when it
suddenly came on. Runs fine and stable once started and even
overclocks stable to at least 2800mhz at stock voltage. Once started I
can restart and go into the BIOS and change the settings to restart on
power failure. Now I start my computer by turning the power supply on
& off until my machine fires up.
I just replaced my old 500 watt power supply with a new 500 watt
supply today thinking that might be it.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

System specs
socket 939 Biostar Tforce 4U (NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra chipset) mainboard.
Opteron 180
1 gig Mushkin PC4400 ram (2 x 512)
2 DVD burners
2 HDD's
floppy
NVIDIA 6800gs PCIe video card
High def TV card

My old opteron had been running fine at 2750mhz (10 x 275) for over
two years in this system.
Old April 11th 08, 06:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Augustus

"number3" wrote in message
[...]

You did, of course, install the AMD Dual Core processor driver?

Old April 12th 08, 02:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
number3

Problem solved. It was the power supply after all. The two power
supplies that did not work properly had single 12 volt rails (20 pin).
The power supply that I have now is an Antec basic 500 watt with two
12 volt rails (20 + 4 pin). I would highly recommend this power supply
for anyone with similar system specs to mine.

Old April 12th 08, 02:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
number3

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 05:20:07 GMT, "Augustus"
wrote:

"number3" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for the tip, no not yet. I just downloaded "AMD Dual-Core
Optimizer" from AMD website. Is this the driver you mean? This is my
first duel core system and any advice is welcome. I do see both cores
in windows task manager.

Old April 12th 08, 06:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
number3

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 13:30:19 GMT, number3 wrote:

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 05:20:07 GMT, "Augustus"
wrote:

"number3" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

OK yep installed latest driver and also the optimizer, thanks.

dual core duel DotCom General 7 July 28th 06 06:00 PM
Biostar tforce 6100 HT Settings Ed Light AMD x86-64 Processors 5 May 24th 06 03:51 AM
Biostar tforce 6100 HT Settings Ed Light Overclocking AMD Processors 4 May 24th 06 03:48 AM
Can I emulate a duel core AMD64 on my Spectrum 48K Emperor's New Widescreen General 5 February 25th 06 04:34 PM
Can I upgrade a Biostar M7MIA with 1.2mhz firebird? Gordon Abbot AMD Thunderbird Processors 1 December 19th 03 07:02 PM