AMD introduces 3.2GHz Athlon 64 X2 6400+

Old March 11th 08, 10:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

Default AMD introduces 3.2GHz Athlon 64 X2 6400+

Ritter 197 wrote:
Hi Guys:
It is a repeat from below:
I reset the clocks, select "reset selection", then "apply selections",
yet when I go back to view clocks it shows the original settings, not
the selected settings. I also made sure again that under Options the
checkmark is there to keep the newly selected option at Start up of
windows.

Still confusing all, and most of all, since it shows the original
clocks, and they are active, since they constantly make upward or
downward minor moves, is *95 even checking the new selected settings of
the clock???

Prime95 is a stability test program. It doesn't care about clocks.
It provides a 100% computing load, and uses all available cores.

Cool N' Quiet is a feature of the OS, that modifies the voltage
and frequency as a function of measured system load. Since Prime95
is running at the moment, Cool N' Quiet should keep the system at
its top setting.

If you can find a setting for Cool N' Quiet in the BIOS, you can
try disabling it. The system should run at full speed all the
time that way.

Clockgen is supposed to control the clock generator chip. In the
case of Nvidia chips, it adjusts something in the chipset itself,
to cause the clocks to increase according to the dial settings.

At least in the case of Clockgen here, I'm not seeing anything
interesting in the registry. I presume the option to apply settings
at startup, would store those settings in the registry.

You can download CPUZ, and look at the clock values that program
sees. The program has more current support, than Clockgen. The download
link is on the upper left of the web page.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

See how it behaves with Cool N' Quiet disabled.

A program like SuperPI can be used to benchmark the overclocked
system. If the time to compute PI to a million digits is reduced,
when the overclock is applied, that would be one way to prove
that overclocking has happened. To be able to run a benchmark
like this, you'd want to stop and exit Prime95. My 3.1GHz P4
calculates PI to one million digits in about 50 seconds.

http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi/super_pi_mod-1.5.zip

Paul

"Ritter 197" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks Paul. Yes I found that 1 little checkmark to apply these new
settings at windows startup.

Checking it did result in the settings that I had selected. You are
just great!

But when do you sleep? Are you not in the UK? I saw in another
Newsgroup here that you said you had a fan for so and so many English
pounds.

I had not thought that I would hear from you when it is 10:20PM here
and 2:20 in the morning in the UK. Just curious. Thanks again!!!

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Ritter 197 wrote:
Here are my results so far, which are not what I expected:

I first power up 95*.
I then power the PPL etc.
I see the original settings which I gave in an earlier response.
I then moved the clock forward, as suggested, forward by 5Mhz or so
and let 95* run for 10 minutes.
I do not encounter a problem and continue with above slowly, always
running after the advance the 95* for 10 or more minutes.
I finally say "apply etc settings" which were :
CPU 2545.38, FSB 231.40, RAM 282.82
I shut down and do a cold start, go back to PPL and lo and behold,
the clock setting are again the original, not the ones I selected,
checked out with 96* and set to "apply"

So what am I doing wrong?????

Old March 12th 08, 12:47 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ritter 197

I downloaded and installed both programs
As far as speed is concerned, they still show the initial settings, not the
changed (by me) settings.

BTW Hitting F1 does open up a number of things, but nothing thaa llows me to
change anything in the BIOS.

I think, that after all, I am still operating at the old speeds/clock
settings.

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Ritter 197 wrote:
[...]

. ..

Old March 12th 08, 02:47 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

Ritter 197 wrote:
I downloaded and installed both programs
As far as speed is concerned, they still show the initial settings, not
the changed (by me) settings.

BTW Hitting F1 does open up a number of things, but nothing thaa llows
me to change anything in the BIOS.

I think, that after all, I am still operating at the old speeds/clock
settings.

That is possible. The question is, whether Clockgen supports
the 6150LE or not. I don't have any way to determine that.

Paul