overclocking hell

Old November 14th 05, 06:53 PM

Default overclocking hell

hey everyone, I've written for help in here before and got it, I have

MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR
Athlon XP2500 with a thermaltake volcano 12
ATI Radeon X800 GTO 256
1gb Geil DDR 3200 DC

My system boots, and runs at 400mhz fsb and it benchmarks great. my CPU runs
between 125 f and 140 F. My problem is, my system randomly reboots, I have
bumped my voltage up to 1.8v but it still does it. Is there anyway to track
what the culprit is? I'm assuming its a voltage issue cause my CPU and video
chip temps dont get hot.
In the bios are you better to use manual settings for cpu, fsb, and ram
settings? And not use the over clock setting for none of them?
This thing is driving me nuts.... I actually took my X800 out and put my
9800 pro back in thinking that it might be a video card issue. I know my
9800 pro is good and stable, where my x800 is new and not proven yet
I have some wicked flucuations in my voltages, could that be the culprit? My
Vcore varies from 1.75 to 1.94 v when I have it clocked at 400. it still
varies from 1.58-1.68 @333.
Also, one more thing. I was always under the impression that the Barton XP's
ran hot, as the norm right? What is normal operating temperature and safe
temps? As long as my CPU is under 150 its ok right? I was running 140-155
before I got my thermaltake and that was at 333fsb
So, I'm thinking either I got a boob chip that just wont overclock, or my
power supply is defective.which by the way is an Antec true power 430. about
a year old.....
Thanks guys!!!! Hope someone has some clues for me
--
{SFU} Jackyl

MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR
Athlon XP2500
ATI Radeon X800 GTO 256
1gb Geil DDR 3200 DC

Old November 14th 05, 07:36 PM
dino

maybe the PSU is weak..the fluctuations are not a normal thing to have
happening. The X800 series of cards I have read are power hogs..but I may be
wrong. Also have you played with the memory timings?..slacked them back a
bit to see if that helps?..do you have Fast Writes turned off in the BIOS?
I have 2 Barton 2500's on A7n series Asus boards..1 is running at
200x11..the other is running at 166x12.5. One is unlocked the other is
not..I used to run the 1 at 220x10 with my Corsair TwinX..but built a
64-3700 939 so robbed the mem for it. There is alot of variables to play
with and each board reacts differently. Pick up another PSU and try that
first,see if you can get the voltage stable. All 3 of my systems are running
Enermax 465 PSU's.

Old November 14th 05, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the input I wrote Antec and they assured me that voltage
variations were the norm, but, I think that nearly a .10-.20 fluctuation
especially in the Vcore isn't the "norm", as when the cpu needs power and
its not there, it stalls, and we all know how windows likes unexpected
things.....
My X800 is on a rail all by itself, and I've swapped between the 3 rails
just to be sure I didn't have a weak rail. However, I just did some swapping
around, set my CPU to manual not overclocked and was able to play BF2 for
about 45 minutes. I guess the real test will come tonight when I play it for
a while longer. My CPU temp was 131 after BF2, but was running about 116
before I started, and its slowly creaping back down now.
Whats the best way to hook up the Volcano 12? With the heat sensor, or the
manual control knob? It seems that the fan fires right up to 5000-5500 as
the system boots. Is that normal? Am I better off using the manual knob?
I'm affraid that one of my daughters may turn it all the way down.....
ROFL
Anyways, thanks again

Jackyl

Old November 14th 05, 09:46 PM
Michael Brown

wrote:
hey everyone, I've written for help in here before and got it, I have

MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR
Athlon XP2500 with a thermaltake volcano 12
ATI Radeon X800 GTO 256
1gb Geil DDR 3200 DC

My system boots, and runs at 400mhz fsb and it benchmarks great. my
CPU runs between 125 f and 140 F. My problem is, my system randomly
reboots, I have bumped my voltage up to 1.8v but it still does it. Is
there anyway to track what the culprit is?

Increase one thing at a time. If you have an unlocked CPU, drop the
multiplier down, then slowly increase the FSB from 166 MHz up to 200, doing
short runs of memtest86 to see if your memory is flaking out at some point.
If your memory works fine at 200MHz, then do the same thing again except
this time boot into windows each step and run Prime95 for 10 mins or so.
Keep the voltage at stock or near enough. Find the point at which your
system becomes unstable, and then see if changing the voltage (or fan or
memory or video card or ...) improves the situation or makes it worse.

[...]
I have some wicked flucuations in my voltages, could that be the
culprit? My Vcore varies from 1.75 to 1.94 v when I have it clocked
at 400.

That's not particularily unusual. Motherboard voltage (and temperature)
monitors are usually pretty low quality and 0.1V of error would not be out
of the question.

[...]
What is normal operating
temperature and safe temps?

Less than 85 deg C core temperature. Of course, this doesn't get you
anywhere as motherboard temperature monitors are completely useless for
absolute temperature measurements. Basically, as long as it's Prime95 stable
and you're not giving it more than about 10% over stock voltage, it's not
going to die before it becomes an antique. In your case, it's presumably not
Prime95 stable, so it's hard to say whether it's being damaged by heat or
not.

[...]

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old November 14th 05, 11:42 PM
MCheu

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:53:56 GMT, wrote:

[...]

There's a third possibility. If you're not running the latest
Catalyst driver (v5.10A, I think), you might want to update that. One
of the previous versions (Not sure which, 5.9 or 5.7) had a bug in
them that caused the GPU to overheat on boards based on 9550 Radeons
and up. That likely includes your X800, and this happened even when
there was NO overclocking going on with the GPU or CPU.
Thanks.

MCheu
Old November 15th 05, 01:24 AM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:32:08 +0000, jedmister1 wrote:

Thanks for the input I wrote Antec and they assured me that voltage
variations were the norm, but, I think that nearly a .10-.20 fluctuation
especially in the Vcore isn't the "norm", as when the cpu needs power and
its not there, it stalls, and we all know how windows likes unexpected
things.....

I've never seen vcore voltages fluctuate as much as you report. On
rare occassion, mine may change by .01v, but it's not often. This could
either be a bad PSU or bad MB. Check the PSU voltages for fluctuation.
They should not fluctuate much at all at idle. and they shouldn't drop
below specs at load. If the PSU voltages are stable, then I'd say you have
a bad MB or something in the system that's draining the voltage. My first
thought on your original post was the PSU.

Old November 15th 05, 07:02 AM

Well I came across another possibliity tonight too. While going thru my
registry, I found alot of entries for my 9800 pro card, Nvidia sound
drivers, and the Nvidia 6600 that I bought and put in my system for a total
of 4 hours it sucked.
So I did a search in my registry for anything 9800 and deleted all
references to the video card. Then did a search for Nvidia and deleted
everything for them as well.
Then reinstalled my Nforce drivers, and video driver for my X800 GTO. I also
uninstalled and updated my drivers for my sound card SB Audigy. "So far"
it seems to have helped my system. But, I'm still thinkin that the power
fluctuations are NOT healthy. There are "borderline, within tollerence"
parts, which are good for my mom, dad and wife. But for those of us that
want to try overclocking, I'm sure that tollerences must be alot tighter.
I'm not a rocket scientist, or engineer, but I'm a pretty fart smucker, and
figured that the fluctuations I am experiencing are not healthy when you're
pushing something to the edge....
Whats really wierd is since I updated all my drivers My CPU temp has dropped
down to 116 -125 F from 128-138 f.... go figure.....
Anyhow, maybe I'll check into a new power supply and a new HD I find it
cheaper and faster to just to a new install on a new HD than to shuffle
freakin files all day long. I have 2 IDE HD's a DVD burner and CDROM, a
floppy, and 4 case fans, perhaps thats too much for my 430......even though
I only use 1 hd and my cdrom when I'm playing BF2.... right?
Anyways, thanks for the help and input

Jackyl

Old November 15th 05, 11:49 AM
gringo

my 2500+ doesnt do 3200+ reliably either despite all the hype. Mine only
goes up to 195mhz anything more system gets flakey - nforce2 board (shuttle
sn45g revision2)