Deskpro 5166 disk

Old July 13th 03, 12:28 PM
Steve

Default Deskpro 5166 disk

I have a Compaq Deskpro 2000 5166 with a system ROM 586C
dated 08/16/1996. It only supports disks up to 2Gb. Am I
correct in assuming that if I Flash this thing with the
SP15800 ROMPaq from HP/Compaq, I can stick in a bigger disk?

SSS,
--
SSS,
Steve / Strathclyde / Scotland.
Old July 13th 03, 03:09 PM
HH

As stated on the ROMPaQ:
Enhancements

Allows system to recognize hard drives larger than 8 GB.

HH

"Steve" wrote in message
I have a Compaq Deskpro 2000 5166 with a system ROM 586C
dated 08/16/1996. It only supports disks up to 2Gb. Am I
correct in assuming that if I Flash this thing with the
SP15800 ROMPaq from HP/Compaq, I can stick in a bigger disk?

SSS,
--
SSS,
Steve / Strathclyde / Scotland.
-------------------------------

Attached Images

Old July 13th 03, 05:11 PM
Mike Calkins

What HH is referring to is the SoftPaq / ROMPaQ documentation, usually
included as a .doc or .txt file with the executable.

Mike in Houston

. ..

Old July 13th 03, 06:10 PM
Steve

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:11:57 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq "Mike
Calkins" wrote:

What HH is referring to is the SoftPaq / ROMPaQ documentation, usually
included as a .doc or .txt file with the executable.

Mike in Houston

In know that. But my upper limit is 2GB, not 8GB. I just
thought this box might be a bit too early for this update.
I don't want to attempt to flash the ROM with the wrong code
and end up with a dead box. I am hunting for a way to save off
the original ROM image so I can put it back if everything goes
tits up. I know there's a way, I done it before on other
machines.

S,
Old July 13th 03, 10:10 PM
Mike Calkins

I have a couple Deskpro 2000's of that vintage, let me check the BIOS level,
and see if they can 'see' over 2 gig.

If not, I'll flash them, and give you the results.

Feel free to email me directly, and I could use the serial number of your
box, as it'll tell me the manufacture date, and config code.

Mike in Houston

Old July 13th 03, 11:35 PM
Mike Calkins

According to the Yeti,

"Windows 95 with the Fat 16 file system had the 2 gig partition limit, that
could be whats holding you back. The computers themselves were limited to 8
gig."

So applying the SoftPaq / ROMPaQ success depends on the version of the OS
that you intend to apply.

Mike in Houston