Fastest Athlon on this motherboard?

Old October 14th 04, 05:14 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

Default Fastest Athlon on this motherboard?

Anyone have experience of the Soltek SL75-drv5?

The fastest CPU listed for this board is the Thoroughbred 2400+ (which I
have).

As it is based on the KT333 chipset, why should it not run bartons at a 166
FSB and I have PC2700 memory and a decent zalman flower cooler, so could I
use a Barton? Or a mobile chip (BIOS has fine voltage adjustment as well)
The BIOS allows FSB of 100 to 250MHz!!

Multiplier can be auto-selected or set via 5-bit switch on motherboard (not
BIOS).

Old October 14th 04, 09:16 PM
HippyPaul

"Gareth Tuckwell" wrote in message
Anyone have experience of the Soltek SL75-drv5?

The fastest CPU listed for this board is the Thoroughbred 2400+ (which I
have).

As it is based on the KT333 chipset, why should it not run bartons at a
166 FSB

Not familiar with that board but I have a KT333 chipset

It depends on if there is a divider for the pci/agp that is built into the
chipset, so that when the fsb is set to 166mhz, the pci/agp has been set
back down to 33/66 mhz. This happens around 133mhz - it depends if your
bios does the same around 166mhz. If not the pci/agp will be running too
fast - 75-85mhz and that will cause the problem as the two are tied
together. I suspect that as there is not a 166mhz fsb cpu listed, that your
board does not have this divider and is based upon the revision 1 KT333
chipset. The revision 2 has this extra divider.

and I have PC2700 memory and a decent zalman flower cooler, so could I
use a Barton? Or a mobile chip (BIOS has fine voltage adjustment as well)
The BIOS allows FSB of 100 to 250MHz!!

yes but the motherboard probably can not either get above about 160mhz or
185mhz fsb depending on if there is the extra divider. The way to find out
is to try and see how fast the fsb will go, the cpu should run at 166mhz fsb
anyway - if it does not then the problem is more than likely the KT333. So
I would not think there was not much to be gained by adding a barton, the
2400+ should overclock quite well anyway (although a mobile barton would be
a bit better).

The 2400+ should in theory go up to 2400mhz anyway - and is not that much
slower than many bartons - except for the L2 cache) If there is not a
pci/divider you may be able to run at 150mhz fsb with no problem and maybe
160mhz.

Multiplier can be auto-selected or set via 5-bit switch on motherboard
(not BIOS).

so looks like you will have to play with the multiplier to get to a good
overclock - if the cpu is an unlocked one. You may have to do a pin mod to
get access to the higher multipliers. but 150 x 16 or 160 x 15 is in theory
possible.

Old October 15th 04, 10:25 AM
Gareth Tuckwell

It depends on if there is a divider for the pci/agp that is built into the
chipset, so that when the fsb is set to 166mhz, the pci/agp has been set
back down to 33/66 mhz. This happens around 133mhz - it depends if your
bios does the same around 166mhz. If not the pci/agp will be running too
fast - 75-85mhz and that will cause the problem as the two are tied
together. I suspect that as there is not a 166mhz fsb cpu listed, that
your board does not have this divider and is based upon the revision 1
KT333 chipset. The revision 2 has this extra divider.

Now, someone else mentioned this divider in a previous post of mine. I had
forgotten about that. I believe this motherboard (SL75-DRV5) does not have
the divider at 166, so I guess 133MHz processor for me.

Athlon 64 - Which motherboard and memory? John Hellingsworth General 0 November 21st 04 10:52 AM
AGP Voltage problem John Overclocking 4 February 29th 04 11:51 AM
Compatibility Athlon XP / Epox 8KTA3+ motherboard John Homebuilt PC's 0 October 11th 03 07:18 PM
Which is better: AMD Athlon XP 1800+ or Intel Pentium 2 GHz? Pccomputerdr Homebuilt PC's 7 October 5th 03 05:46 PM
No POST & no video signal - Broken motherboard? Paul Mc Homebuilt PC's 6 September 30th 03 07:43 PM