Mobile barton 2500, minium vcore to overclock is ?

Old October 12th 04, 12:08 AM
Ed Light

"Chip" wrote in message

"Ed Light" wrote in message
news:RKjad.18408$_a3.2996@fed1read05...
What kind of errors would ii get if it was not stable ?, never used
thta program before, it can get errors yet still be stable right ?

It stops and reads "error."

... or crashes, or locks up. Depends how serious the overclock.

Whew. I'm glad I've just seen "error." Going from 13x to 13.5x.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old October 12th 04, 09:14 AM
Chip

"Ed Light" wrote in message

"Chip" wrote in message

"Ed Light" wrote in message
What kind of errors would ii get if it was not stable ?, never used
thta program before, it can get errors yet still be stable right ?
It stops and reads "error."

... or crashes, or locks up. Depends how serious the overclock.

Whew. I'm glad I've just seen "error." Going from 13x to 13.5x.

Actually it can get a LOT worse. It seems to depend on your individual CPU
actually... and specifically how it behaves when it fails.

My second Athlon XP was a 2100+ Tbred "B". A good overclocker, it would do
around 2450MHz (which ironically is the same as the Barton 3200+ I bought to
replace it and then the mobile 2500+ "I" I bought to replace that and the
mobile 2500+ "A" which followed that! Anyway, I digress...)

This TBred managed to trash windows twice whilst I was running Prime95 tests
with it. Instead of nice neat error messages, it would fall over with its
legs in the air, crash XP and worse - leave XP completely unbootable!

Chip

Old October 12th 04, 02:19 PM
Avid Gamer

Ive done that a few times , still try to push my cpu though, easy
enough to reinstall XP :0

Old October 12th 04, 06:04 PM
Ed Light

"Chip" wrote
This TBred managed to trash windows twice whilst I was running Prime95
tests with it. Instead of nice neat error messages, it would fall over
with its legs in the air, crash XP and worse - leave XP completely
unbootable!

I hope you had a disk image to fall back on!
I use bootitng to make a bootable copy of my 10 gig C: partition on my 60
gig master hd, so that if such a disaster happens, or my C: shows evidence
of rot, I can immediately boot the copy. They share the data on F:. Actually
it takes 2 copies since one backs up the other, which may get booted.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old October 12th 04, 10:45 PM
Chip

"Ed Light" wrote in message

"Chip" wrote
This TBred managed to trash windows twice whilst I was running Prime95
tests with it. Instead of nice neat error messages, it would fall over
with its legs in the air, crash XP and worse - leave XP completely
unbootable!

I hope you had a disk image to fall back on!

I do now!

The first couple of times this happened I didn't and had to do complete
windows reinstalls. Which was ahem "irritating". LOL

Old October 13th 04, 04:40 PM
Avid Gamer

I i had a DVD burner i might make an image, though i suppose i could
copy the image to the d:\ drive and leave it their for update

Never used such software, i think the best is ?

Old October 13th 04, 05:49 PM
Ed Light

bootitng at bootitng.com
Not easy to figure out, though.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old October 13th 04, 05:51 PM
Chip

"Avid Gamer" wrote in message

I i had a DVD burner i might make an image, though i suppose i could
copy the image to the d:\ drive and leave it their for update

Never used such software, i think the best is ?

I keep my C: drive fairly small; less than 40GB. That way I can quickly
copy my system over to an old Maxtor 40GB IDE drive when I need to do some
testing. I use Acronis TrueImage to do it - works like a charm. And now if
I trash Windows, I am only trashing a test disk!

For "backups" -i.e. including all my documents, files etc, I use an external
160GB hard drive. That was I can take my "system" to a friends house e.g.
when we go on holidays. So that if we have a fire, or get burgled or
whatever, then I have a safe backup somewhere else.

Chip

Old October 13th 04, 07:19 PM
Avid Gamer

I Keep my c:\ drive small to 20 gig here, whats the Norton Utes image
software ???, got it with system works 2004 might give that a try, see
if it works on my next accident

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:51:58 +0100, "Chip"
wrote:

.. .

Old October 13th 04, 11:45 PM
Frank v7.0

Avid Gamer wrote:
I Keep my c:\ drive small to 20 gig here, whats the Norton Utes image
software ???, got it with system works 2004 might give that a try, see
if it works on my next accident

The Norton Utility is Ghost. Works well and you already own it ;-) I use
Clone in Ghost Advanced Utilities to create a copy of my entire C: drive
to a second hard drive. If disaster strikes you can use the backup as
primary and either re clone your system back to the way it was or pull
the dead drive and run on the backup until you replace the dead one.
Then just clone from the backup. We have some pretty severe lightning
storms around here so I physically disconnect both the IDE cable and
power plug from the backup drive after cloning.

--
FRH