Starting the A7N8X-E with a Barton 2600 Mobile - Advice needed

Old October 11th 04, 09:46 AM
Peregrin

Default Starting the A7N8X-E with a Barton 2600 Mobile - Advice needed

Hi all,

I'm about to turn on my new machine, which will be my first try with a
Mobile Athlon in a Desktop MOBO. Is there a chance I may fry the CPU
before I can get in the bios to adjust the Vcore? The Vcore in the BIOS is
set initially to AUTO. What is that going to be, with a mobile CPU? And
will the CPU be recognized correctly? If not, what is likely to happen?

Is there anything I should/can do before I turn on the box, or just go
ahead and boot, and cross my toes while I use my fingers to get in the
bios and set the Vcore to say 1.5V, as fast as I can?

And can I rely on the onboard indicated CPU voltage and temp., until I'll
have installed WinXP and then MBMON?

Thanks very much for any and all advice

Old October 11th 04, 10:03 AM
Apollo

"Peregrin" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all,

I'm about to turn on my new machine, which will be my first try with a
Mobile Athlon in a Desktop MOBO. Is there a chance I may fry the CPU
before I can get in the bios to adjust the Vcore? The Vcore in the
BIOS is
set initially to AUTO. What is that going to be, with a mobile CPU?
And
will the CPU be recognized correctly? If not, what is likely to
happen?

Is there anything I should/can do before I turn on the box, or just go
ahead and boot, and cross my toes while I use my fingers to get in the
bios and set the Vcore to say 1.5V, as fast as I can?

And can I rely on the onboard indicated CPU voltage and temp., until
I'll
have installed WinXP and then MBMON?

Thanks very much for any and all advice

My NF7-s (ver2) / mobile XP2400 set the correct voltage (1.35v), but set
the speed to something like 600MHz (6x100). I can't see any problems,
the cpu should set the correct voltage if set to auto in the bios but
you will need to set up the speed manually.

If you're re-using the mobo it's probably a good idea to reset the bios
and load optimised defaults before you install and start with the new
cpu.

--
Apollo

Old October 11th 04, 12:22 PM
TBC OZoNE

"Peregrin" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all,

I'm about to turn on my new machine, which will be my first try with a
Mobile Athlon in a Desktop MOBO. Is there a chance I may fry the CPU
before I can get in the bios to adjust the Vcore? The Vcore in the BIOS is
set initially to AUTO. What is that going to be, with a mobile CPU? And
will the CPU be recognized correctly? If not, what is likely to happen?

Is there anything I should/can do before I turn on the box, or just go
ahead and boot, and cross my toes while I use my fingers to get in the
bios and set the Vcore to say 1.5V, as fast as I can?

And can I rely on the onboard indicated CPU voltage and temp., until I'll
have installed WinXP and then MBMON?

Thanks very much for any and all advice

I put my 2500+ mobile into A7N8X rev2 Motherboard with Bios 1007.
The lowest voltge I can set is 1.575.
My temps remaon at 35c idle and max out around 43c loaded.
its running at 200x11....when first installed defaulted to 6x100 as other
post says.
Using a Thermaltake Volcano 9+ with cpu fan set to increase in speed as cpu
heatsup....whih it doesnt do.

Yo shouldnt have prob with the 2600+ at all.
OZoNE