Compaq Presario R4000 laptop

Old October 19th 09, 02:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
goofyfootrider63

Default Compaq Presario R4000 laptop

this unit has been working well since i got it a few years ago but now
I'm getting these messages:

Hp Wireless Assistant not supported on this machine
Windows Media Player can't open low memory (hard drive is only half
full)
It also seems like my audio has totally disappeared. (sound mute
button won't turn off )

I can't even use a ethernet cable and go online through my router
- these symptoms just started 2 days ago and I'm extremely baffled...

Any suggestions?

Old October 19th 09, 04:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
HH[_10_]

Thorough virus scan? Hard drive checked? Defragged? How much RAM installed?
What OS?

HH

"goofyfootrider63" wrote in
message ...

Old October 22nd 09, 05:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
goofyfootrider63[_2_]

sorry i forgot that info....

its running Win XP Home Edition ver 2002 service pack 3
1.12 GB of RAM
55 GB HD w/ only 28 gigs used

have not defragged hard drive

won't allow me to run AVG virus scan

Old December 5th 09, 12:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

"goofyfootrider63" wrote in
message ...

this unit has been working well since i got it a few years ago but now
I'm getting these messages:

Hp Wireless Assistant not supported on this machine
Windows Media Player can't open low memory (hard drive is only half
full)
It also seems like my audio has totally disappeared. (sound mute
button won't turn off )

I can't even use a ethernet cable and go online through my router
- these symptoms just started 2 days ago and I'm extremely baffled...

Any suggestions?

At start time, press F8 and boot into SAFE MODE.
If audio then works then something in startup messing things up.
Try it - let us know.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm