Westell DSL Modem and Windows XP

Old August 13th 03, 10:01 PM
John McGaw

Default Westell DSL Modem and Windows XP

"Mark Wilson" wrote in message
I'm considering getting DSL. The ISP provides a Westell DSL Modem (model
2110).

I checked the FAQ on Westell's site and one thing they mention is:

26. Why won't my modem work with USB 2.0 on my WindowsXP machine?
If you have Windows XP with Service Pack 1 installed, USB 2.0 will not

work
properly. Microsoft is currently working on this, but no time frame is
available.

Well, I DO have XP with Service Pack 1 (and I have done all the critical
updates). Does this mean there is no way to use this modem with my OS or
can I get around this by using USB 1.1 or something like that? Is anyone
aware of a microsoft patch or where to get it?

Finally, it looks like this Modem also supports ethernet cable. If that

is
the case, will ethernet do anything to choke my speed?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Do yourself a favor and use ethernet for the connection. Doing it that way
you do not install any extraneous software or drivers and these always seem
to be a source of problems (and some users suspect that ISP-provided DSL
software is used as spyware under the guise of "support"). There is no speed
penalty using ethernet since DSL is so slow compared to even USB 1. I use
that same modem, using its internal router function feeding an 8-port switch
to feed my network.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Old August 14th 03, 05:33 AM
Mike Walsh

I was under the impression that DSL maxed out at 1.5 Mbps. That is the fastest speed claimed it my area, actual speed is somewhat less. If you can get faster DSL you shouldn't have any problems with 100 Mbps ethernet.

mcheu wrote:

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:57:37 GMT, Mike Walsh
wrote::

No. Even 10 Mbps ethernet is far faster than DSL.

That confuses me a bit.

The most common DSL cxn offered to home users is 10Mbps.

The next step up from that offered by Sympatico and some others is
30Mbps. Up until recently, this was offered only to business users,
but is now available to home users as "Ultra High Speed".

Can you clarify your statement?

Thanks,

MCheu

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old August 14th 03, 06:41 AM
Dave

wrote::

No. Even 10 Mbps ethernet is far faster than DSL.

That confuses me a bit.

The most common DSL cxn offered to home users is 10Mbps.

The next step up from that offered by Sympatico and some others is
30Mbps. Up until recently, this was offered only to business users,
but is now available to home users as "Ultra High Speed".

Can you clarify your statement?

"Ultra High Speed" offered by Sympatico is 3Mbps not 30Mbps so a 10Mbps
ethernet is plenty

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old August 14th 03, 07:51 PM
MCheu

Mike Walsh wrote in message ...
I was under the impression that DSL maxed out at 1.5 Mbps. That is the fastest speed claimed it my area, actual speed is somewhat less. If you can get faster DSL you shouldn't have any problems with 100 Mbps ethernet.

Sorry. You're right. Long day, and a wayward decimal point. I guess
10Mbps is plenty.

Sympatico's High Speed DSL is 1.0Mbps
Sympatico's Ultra Highspeed is 3.0Mbps.

Thanks,