Which GPU for Video Editing

Old February 20th 04, 03:40 PM
Arifi Koseoglu

Default Which GPU for Video Editing

Hello everyone,

Trying to put together a system for a friend, I am stuck (and I do not know
anything about) the graphics chip selection. He is going to use the system
for Video Editing (amateur level), copying old VHS tapes to CDs or DVDs,
capturing TV broadcasts etc. On the side, his children will probably be
playing games.

I would appreciate deeply if you could suggest three alternatives for:
1. Economy model
2. Good value for money
3. Best performance

Many thanks in advance,
-arifi

Old February 20th 04, 04:23 PM
Jari Mokka

"Arifi Koseoglu" kirjoitti viestissä
Hello everyone,

Trying to put together a system for a friend, I am stuck (and I do not

know
anything about) the graphics chip selection. He is going to use the system
for Video Editing (amateur level), copying old VHS tapes to CDs or DVDs,
capturing TV broadcasts etc. On the side, his children will probably be
playing games.

I would appreciate deeply if you could suggest three alternatives for:
1. Economy model
2. Good value for money
3. Best performance

Many thanks in advance,
-arifi

How about Radeon AIW 9800 SE ??

Jari

Old February 20th 04, 06:53 PM
RickT

"Arifi Koseoglu" wrote in message ...
Hello everyone,

Trying to put together a system for a friend, I am stuck (and I do not know
anything about) the graphics chip selection. He is going to use the system
for Video Editing (amateur level), copying old VHS tapes to CDs or DVDs,
capturing TV broadcasts etc. On the side, his children will probably be
playing games.

I would appreciate deeply if you could suggest three alternatives for:
1. Economy model
2. Good value for money
3. Best performance

For #2&3 it's best to offload video capture from the graphics
adapter.. Instead of an AIW 8500, for an extra $100 or so one
can get a Canopus ADVC-100 and a decent basic video controller
(Nvidia, ATI or Matrox, take your pick). This latter setup is far
more flexible and will provide *much* better results.

Rick

Old February 21st 04, 01:23 PM
Arifi Koseoglu

Many thanks all..

As I understand, Rick, you are saying that I should get an external
converter and then hook this up between the video source and the
computer (firewire?) and not care much about the VGA controller on the
PC (right ?)

Could I achieve a similar result with a TV tuner / Video Capture card?
Any suggestions here? My friend seems to be fond of Pinnacle stuff
(must have used one once)

Best,
-arifi