ASRock K7S8X R3 - Video Card Advice!

Old March 12th 04, 07:06 PM
jedi

Default ASRock K7S8X R3 - Video Card Advice!

Hi

I was wondering if it would be safe to put my old nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB video
card in this system that I'm building, until I can afford to purchase a new
video card.

The problem: My MOBO manual states as a caution, not to put a card in that uses
3.3V, as this would cause permanent damage to the board. My TNT2 card has 2
keys (notches) which I assume uses either 3.3V or 1.5V?

The voltage is a key factor, here, does anyone know if it would be safe? I
can't even find any specs on my nVidia card!

Regards,

Fred

Old March 12th 04, 08:36 PM
kony

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:06:33 -0000, "jedi" wrote:

Hi

I was wondering if it would be safe to put my old nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB video
card in this system that I'm building, until I can afford to purchase a new
video card.

The problem: My MOBO manual states as a caution, not to put a card in that uses
3.3V, as this would cause permanent damage to the board. My TNT2 card has 2
keys (notches) which I assume uses either 3.3V or 1.5V?

The voltage is a key factor, here, does anyone know if it would be safe? I
can't even find any specs on my nVidia card!

Regards,

Fred

They're supposed to be compatible but around the TNT2 era there may have
been some cards improperly designed, that didn't actually support 1.5V
even though they had the proper slot-keying... Odds are it'll work fine
but you might want to research the specific brand of card, not just it's
chipset... nVidia didn't make the (whole) card, just the chipset.
Old March 13th 04, 12:36 AM
Paul L

"kony" wrote in message
[...]

goto http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/ and punch in the fccid # on the card,
often pdfs are available w/specs

Old March 13th 04, 10:09 AM
kony

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 09:47:26 -0000, "jedi" wrote:

kony, , wrote:

They're supposed to be compatible but around the TNT2 era there may
have been some cards improperly designed, that didn't actually
support 1.5V even though they had the proper slot-keying... Odds are
it'll work fine but you might want to research the specific brand of
card, not just it's chipset... nVidia didn't make the (whole) card,
just the chipset.

Thanks kony.

Looking again at the card it says 3D Power TNT2 M64 32MB, but I can't find
anything on Google! Their site (
www.3dpower.com) appears to be gone now.

Then all you can do is play the odds... odds are it'll work... I have no
idea which particular cards didn't... If it were my card I'd go ahead and
try it, though that card has horrible performance, you might get $10 out
of it on ebay then be $10 closer to a better card.

Advice on new video card Frustrated General 4 December 12th 03 03:19 PM
Video Card Help SteveC General 1 October 20th 03 07:08 AM
Where to get replacement video card fan? Or maybe just use a heatsink? Vanguard General 3 September 20th 03 07:24 PM
Video card memory too low BuDMaN General 4 September 12th 03 01:27 AM
Video card advice grendel General 10 June 30th 03 02:07 PM