AIX versus SUN and Linux, best price performance ?

Old January 28th 04, 10:19 PM
Frank van de Pol

Default AIX versus SUN and Linux, best price performance ?

Please don't use RAID-5 in database applications if high performance is
one of your objectives. Better use RAID-10 (combination of mirroring and
striping) at the expense of 50% diskspace for redundancy.

Looking at the number of disks I suppose scsi is the way to go.

Dell makes some pretty decent (and cheap) servers as well.

Frank.

Arlé Mooldijk wrote:
"Louis" wrote in message

We have a IBM RS6000 F50 running AIX 4.3.3 with 3 CPU's and 9 mirrored

disks

and 1.5 GB internal memory. DBMS Basis 9.1 runs on it. This database can

be

compared with Oracle regarding performance. However it's not
multi-threading.

We are thinking of upgrading hardware. The F50 cannot handle the job
anymore. The Basis DBMS runs on AIX, Linux and SUN. Our database will be
around 60 GB and should be spreaded on multiple disks (at least 4). In

total

we need at least 10 disks (20-40 GB). We need 2-4 GB memory.

Why do you need at least 10 disks? Disks have more storage space these
days...

The solution should be cheap but also reliable. So, we prefer cheap memory
and cheap (instead of expensive IBM SSA disks) SCSI or even IDE disks.

Linux is cheap. If it is a serious server then I'd recommend SCSI with a
RAID5 controller for the database storage and a mirrored disk for OS. This
means about 5 disks minimum (3 for RAID5 and 2 for OS). HotSwap if desirable
(but very nice and handy when you can afford it; saves you downtime when a
disk fails). HP/Compaq is a good choice for Intel based servers. The support
of HP is very good (personal experience).

Just my opinion though...

With Kind Regards,
Arlé