A7V333 Problems with CD ROM on Promise channels in 2k

Old November 21st 03, 10:46 PM
David G

Default A7V333 Problems with CD ROM on Promise channels in 2k

I am currently having problems with 2k (sp4) freezing. I think there is some
conflict with a piece of s/w I installed, and it also lost most of the program
icons. None of the standard cures will solve it, so it looks like a re-install
of 2k.

I did have a backup from before this all happened, but unfortunately the tape
drive has gone defunct, and the manufacturer gone bust.

I tried to do this recently but was unable to get it to recognise the promise
channels.

The current set up is as follows:-
Board A7V333 512mb memory
BIOS Properties
BIOS Type Award Modular
Award BIOS Type Award Modular BIOS v6.0
Award BIOS Message ASUS A7V333 PURE UDMA 1016 by Lumberjacker
System BIOS Date 01/28/03
Video BIOS Date 05/18/99

2 hard drives on IDE0
1 hard drive on IDE1
CD writer on promise IDE2
CD ROM on promise IDE3

Last time I put the CDROM onto IDE1, then once 2k was installed swopped to the
configuration above, but I was unable to get it to get it to recognise anything
on the promise IDE's. This time I am proposing copying the 2k CD to the hard
drive and installing from that, leaving the drive configuration as is.

I think when I initially installed 2k on this board I installed some driver, but
I cannot now remember what I did.

Has anyone any suggestions please.

--
Regards

DavidG
Old November 22nd 03, 09:46 PM
tomcas

The onboard promise controller is not suppose to work for optical drives
unless you use a hacked driver and bios. I'm using Lumberjacker ver UDMA
1..008 , win 2k, latest MS updates.without any problems. For the record I
could not get the Pure UDMA bios 1.017 or 1.018 to work with any of the
UDMA drivers, so I stuck with the tried and true 1..008. I don't see it
archived anywhere but I have a copy if anyone needs it.
http://www.anycities.com/user/mainboards/asus/asus.html
http://www.anycities.com/user/treiber/

Old November 23rd 03, 08:03 PM
the gnome

"David G" wrote in message
[...]

Your best bet is to put your boot drive on IDE 0, master and a CD drive on
IDE 1, master

Try a repair of W2k or an install and once win2k is installed you can add in
the RAID (promise) drivers.

Then add each extra hard drive to a raid IDE, let it set it up as a single
disk RAID (WARNING - I think this probably leads to a format and hence data
loss )

Alternativley, go to www.limberjacker.de (where you will be rerouted to the
new site) and download one of the BIOSs that turn the Promise RAID IDEs into
normal IDEs, and don't forget the drivers.

Then do as suggested above but use the lumberjacker drivers to set up the
unknown raid device after the install.

You will then be able to run the CDs off the extra IDE controllers but you
MUST have a HDD somewhere on the RAID controllers in order for the BIOS to
set itself up correctly when booting.

the_gnome

Old December 2nd 03, 10:09 PM
David G

Thanks for the replies.
Sorry for not replying earlier, but have only just managed to get the
machine back together.

Wish I had managed to get back to this earlier as it explains some of
the problems I was having. As you mention the only way I could get it to
work was by putting an HD on the raid channel and the CD drives split on
the basic IDE and on raid. They do seem reluctant to work at times, but
seem to be getting better. I have not had to do any formatting on the
raid HD.

David

Old December 3rd 03, 11:54 AM
tomcas

"David G" wrote in message
You will then be able to run the CDs off the extra IDE controllers but

you
MUST have a HDD somewhere on the RAID controllers in order for the BIOS

set itself up correctly when booting.

This is not correct. Running Win 2K, A7V333, HDs on standard IDE controller,
CD drives on Promise raid controller, Lumberjacker Pure UDMA driver and
1.008u hacked bios (not fast boot). Boots to any drive, no problems.

Old December 3rd 03, 03:26 PM
the gnome

"tomcas" wrote in message

"David G" wrote in message
You will then be able to run the CDs off the extra IDE controllers but

you
MUST have a HDD somewhere on the RAID controllers in order for the

BIOS
set itself up correctly when booting.

This is not correct. Running Win 2K, A7V333, HDs on standard IDE

controller,
CD drives on Promise raid controller, Lumberjacker Pure UDMA driver and
1.008u hacked bios (not fast boot). Boots to any drive, no problems.

Maybe I have the fastboot BIOS installed but I discovered that if no HDD on
the RAID controller, then no CDs available.

the_gnome

Old December 3rd 03, 07:37 PM
David G

Before I re-installed 2k that was how I had it set up. HD's on the 2 IDE
channels and the 2 CD's on the raid. However I could not get 2k to boot.
It would get 3/4 through the splash screen and reboot itself. Only by
adopting Gnome's method could I get it to run. I assume 2k was finding
something it did not like and bombed out. I suppose there could be a m/b
fault that was throwing it out - is that likely?

David