top CPU for P4B533? Asus docs are wrong.

Old November 14th 03, 05:45 AM
Tom

Default top CPU for P4B533? Asus docs are wrong.

The docs on the ASUS website are wrong. (if I look it up by MB I get =
different info than if I look it up by CPU.)

What is the fastest CPU that I can use with my P4B533? Can I use a P4c =
(800MHz bus) CPU?

I'd like to upgrade my Celeron 1.7 to a P4c 2.6 with HT. I'm not =
interested in overclocking or doing anything out of spec.

My chipset is Intel i845E rev. E0
Will it be a problem using my RAM with a P4c? My RAM specs are listed =
below.

Thanks,
Tom.

DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM=20
DRAM Size 512 MBytes=20
DRAM Frequency 134.7 MHz=20
FSBRAM 3:4=20
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks=20
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks=20
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks=20
Cycle Time (TRAS) 6 clocks=20
Module 0 Xerox DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 256 MBytes=20
Module 1 DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 256 MBytes=20

Old November 14th 03, 06:44 AM
Darkfalz

What is the fastest CPU that I can use with my P4B533? Can I use a P4c
(800MHz bus) CPU?

You'd be limited to however high FSB your board and ram could manage, and I
doubt it would make it to 200 but you can try.

I'd like to upgrade my Celeron 1.7 to a P4c 2.6 with HT. I'm not

interested in overclocking or doing anything out of spec.

To use HT you need a board which supports HT, and that one doesn't.

Old November 14th 03, 06:15 PM
John

You can run the RAM at 3:4. So, if the FSB was 200 the RAM would be at 150.
There's plenty of RAM that can handle that.

As you say, the board definitely supports HT.

I suspect the max stable FSB would be around 166, but I'd love to hear
otherwise.

So, if you underclocked a 2.6Ghz 200FSB cpu to 2.158Ghz (166 FSB) you might
have success.

"GiJO" wrote in message
i had the same issue... i just bought a 2.6 533mhz processor. The board

does
support HT (with a bios upgrade), but like Darkfalz said, you need to run
the board at 200mhz and i don't think the ram will hack that, but i

haven't
tried.

Although on my p4b533-e board there is an option where you can tell the

AGP
and RAM to be 66mhz/33mhz and you can adjust those independently of the

FSB.
I didn't have the cash to get a p4c 2.6 incase it didn't work... so just
went with the vanilla version

--
Thanks
Andrew

Tom wrote:
The docs on the ASUS website are wrong. (if I look it up by MB I get
different info than if I look it up by CPU.)

What is the fastest CPU that I can use with my P4B533? Can I use a
P4c (800MHz bus) CPU?

I'd like to upgrade my Celeron 1.7 to a P4c 2.6 with HT. I'm not
interested in overclocking or doing anything out of spec.

My chipset is Intel i845E rev. E0
Will it be a problem using my RAM with a P4c? My RAM specs are
listed below.

Thanks,
Tom.

DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 512 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 134.7 MHz
FSBRAM 3:4
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 6 clocks

Old November 15th 03, 04:19 AM
Robert Hancock

800 MHz FSB is not officially supported - you may be able to do it, but with
an overclocked RAM and AGP bus.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

e.rogers.com...

Old November 15th 03, 04:24 PM
Tom

Thanks. I'm not into overclocking, so I will stick with a P4B 533 CPU.

Tom.

"Robert Hancock" wrote in message =
800 MHz FSB is not officially supported - you may be able to do it, =

but with
an overclocked RAM and AGP bus.
=20
--=20
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from
Home Page:
http://www.roberthancock.com/
=20
=20
e.rogers.com...

Old November 16th 03, 04:48 PM
John

You can lock the AGP bus at 66mhz and the PCI bus at 33mhz in the bios. So
they'll be running at standard speed.

"GiJO" wrote in message
what about the AGP and PCI bus though? what would they be running at?

--
Thanks
Andrew

Old November 16th 03, 04:53 PM
John

If you have good RAM (eg. Corsair PC3200) the only thing you'll be
overclocking is the motherboard. RAM will be within spec using 3:4 ratio.
AGP and PCI buses are locked in bios to standard settings. Processor will be
"under clocked".

"Tom" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
Thanks. I'm not into overclocking, so I will stick with a P4B 533 CPU.

Tom.

"Robert Hancock" wrote in message
800 MHz FSB is not officially supported - you may be able to do it, but

with
an overclocked RAM and AGP bus.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada