a7v333 confused user

Old July 20th 03, 12:20 AM
dbroms

Default a7v333 confused user

thanks for the help

ive looked at the board and its says rev 1.04.

if i get a 333 fsb chip will it work on this board?

many thanks
daz
"Baron Von Black" wrote in message

"dbroms" wrote in message
news
i am confused about what is the best chip and memory for my asus a7v333
board.
do i pay extra and get a 333 fsb chip if the board is only 266fsb?
is it the same with the memory, do i get pc2700? or will pc2100 be

better?

so confused any help much appreciated
Daz

Hi Daz

Regards FSB speeds on A7V333

Cpu on version 1.x boards runs on a 266Mhz (2 x 133) bus officially.

BUT.......

If you have a version 2.x board these are capable of handling 333FSB cpu's
officially.

BUT........

many people including myself are running 333Mhz bus CPU's on version 1.x
boards.

Memory is independent of CPU FSB so ALL versions are capable of running at
333Mhz (2 x 166) bus, so go for PC2700.

Personally I am running 512MB of Samsung PC2700 DDR.

Which version do you own??????

Number is shown between the PCI slot furthest away from the CPU socket.

Good luck

Old July 20th 03, 12:43 AM
Egil Solberg

"dbroms" wrote in message
thanks for the help

ive looked at the board and its says rev 1.04.

if i get a 333 fsb chip will it work on this board?

Not guaranteed. I think the problem is that you will not get correct
multiplier for PCI/AGP at 166/333MHz with the earlier board.
At least thatīs what people say here.

Old July 20th 03, 01:18 AM
Milhouse

That may be true for some earlier revisions, but my 1.04 has to be getting
them right - no way in hell it'd work if it wasn't!

(2100+ at 2700+, by the way. 333FSB.)

Milhouse

Old July 20th 03, 04:07 AM
R_Supp

"Egil Solberg" wrote in message

"Egil Solberg" wrote in message

Not guaranteed. I think the problem is that you will not get correct
multiplier for PCI/AGP at 166/333MHz with the earlier board.
At least thatīs what people say here.

Hm, checked a bit around, and I think Iīm on thin ice with my last
statement.
Probably, itīs just a testing procedure for "333MHz" operation omitted for
pre-2.0 boards.

When you buy your ram get PC2700 and get it as 2 sticks of single sided ram
of the size you want so that if at a later date you upgrade your mobo you
can still use your ram.
On page12 of the A7V333 manual it states that a bus speed of 266 is
supported but does not mention any higher. Attached is a list of CPUs and
their speeds.
The XP2400 is the top chip for this mobo and this would not be a shabby
computer to own.

Attached Files
File Type: txt Athlon XP Speeds.txt (658 Bytes, 75 views)