Linux & modems

Old December 7th 03, 05:45 AM
jeremy

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 10:24:46 -0500, Bruin wrote:

Giving my brother a new motherboard, CPU, & RAM for Xmas. (Handmedown
1800+ on a Soya board & a stick of 256 meg RAM) Suddenly it occurred to
me that the MB does not have an ISA slot!

The man is fully disabled, fixed income, hates Microsoft & won't use
Windows. He uses Linux.. How does one tell if a PCI modem is Linux
compatible?

regards
Joe S.

Gotta love USR Sportsters and Couriers but they cost alot of $, as serial
modems typically do. NewEgg caries a USR PCI hardware modem usually ~$40ish

The Geeks have some low cost serial modems:

$16.50 CenDyne 56K V.92 External Serial Modem
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp...=CDIMM00131-PB

$17.99 56K V.90 Data/Fax/Voice External Serial Modem
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp...d=5RJTAI-35500

damn they have a 800MHz Thinkpad for $379 too.

Please remove your windows partition when replying by email

Old December 7th 03, 04:40 PM
CBFalconer

Bruin wrote:

Giving my brother a new motherboard, CPU, & RAM for Xmas.
(Handmedown 1800+ on a Soya board & a stick of 256 meg RAM)
Suddenly it occurred to me that the MB does not have an ISA slot!

The man is fully disabled, fixed income, hates Microsoft & won't
use Windows. He uses Linux.. How does one tell if a PCI modem
is Linux compatible?

Good for him. Some PCI slot modems are not Winmodems, but it is
rare. The safest alternative is a real modem on a serial port.

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!

Old December 7th 03, 05:20 PM
Lane Lewis

"Bruin" wrote in message

Giving my brother a new motherboard, CPU, & RAM for Xmas. (Handmedown

1800+
on a Soya board & a stick of 256 meg RAM) Suddenly it occurred to me

that
the MB does not have an ISA slot!

The man is fully disabled, fixed income, hates Microsoft & won't use
Windows. He uses Linux.. How does one tell if a PCI modem is Linux
compatible?

regards
Joe S.

It will say it's Linux compatible.

http://www.zoomtel.com/graphics/data...p/29200101.pdf

Lane

Old December 7th 03, 06:54 PM
philo

"Bruin" wrote in message

Giving my brother a new motherboard, CPU, & RAM for Xmas. (Handmedown

1800+
on a Soya board & a stick of 256 meg RAM) Suddenly it occurred to me

that
the MB does not have an ISA slot!

The man is fully disabled, fixed income, hates Microsoft & won't use
Windows. He uses Linux.. How does one tell if a PCI modem is Linux
compatible?

regards
Joe S.

An external serial modem is pretty much of a sure thing...
you should not go with the so called "win-modems" .Although some of
them are supported by linux it may be difficult to actually get them
working.

Old December 7th 03, 07:14 PM
Shep©

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 10:24:46 -0500 Not letting inanimate objects know
I'm a in a hurry "Bruin" wrote :

Giving my brother a new motherboard, CPU, & RAM for Xmas. (Handmedown 1800+
on a Soya board & a stick of 256 meg RAM) Suddenly it occurred to me that
the MB does not have an ISA slot!

The man is fully disabled, fixed income, hates Microsoft & won't use
Windows. He uses Linux.. How does one tell if a PCI modem is Linux
compatible?

regards
Joe S.

Click here,
http://tinyurl.com/y4qy

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old December 8th 03, 01:55 AM
stacey

Bruin wrote:

Giving my brother a new motherboard, CPU, & RAM for Xmas. (Handmedown
1800+
on a Soya board & a stick of 256 meg RAM) Suddenly it occurred to me
that the MB does not have an ISA slot!

The man is fully disabled, fixed income, hates Microsoft & won't use
Windows. He uses Linux.. How does one tell if a PCI modem is Linux
compatible?

Normally it will say something like "hardware modem" as it costs more to
make thse so they want it known. The 3com performance pro is a great PCI
hardware modem that works easily with linux. Also any external modem will
work as well.

--

Stacey
Old December 8th 03, 02:06 AM
kony

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 10:24:46 -0500, "Bruin"
wrote:

Giving my brother a new motherboard, CPU, & RAM for Xmas. (Handmedown 1800+
on a Soya board & a stick of 256 meg RAM) Suddenly it occurred to me that
the MB does not have an ISA slot!

The man is fully disabled, fixed income, hates Microsoft & won't use
Windows. He uses Linux.. How does one tell if a PCI modem is Linux
compatible?

regards
Joe S.

Many of the conexant chipset modems are linux compatible, see he
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/

Here's a pretty good deal on a winmodem:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...ion=25-119-102

Old December 9th 03, 02:04 AM
Muttly

I was running a win modem for ages on my linux box. There was no problem
gettingit working once I got the right RPM for the chipset.
Martni.

"Bruin" wrote in message

An external serial modem is pretty much of a sure thing...
you should not go with the so called "win-modems" .Although some of
them are supported by linux it may be difficult to actually get them
working.

I can imagine. I seem to remember having a few issues with modems way

back
when. I don't want my bother losing his mind trying to get some cheap PCI
modem working.

Old December 9th 03, 02:16 AM
Bruin

"jeremy" wrote in message
newsan.2003.12.07.05.45.32.244074@yourwindowspar tition.dls.net...
[...]

Thanks for the tips! External does seem to be the way to go. & you cant
beat 18.00.

wireless modems ? Fergalflann General 1 December 1st 03 03:10 AM
defective harddrive data recovery Alexander Linkenbach General 0 October 26th 03 06:55 PM
3 PCI Modems in one PC John Carlyle-Clarke General 2 October 23rd 03 09:30 AM
Testing Modems DBBS General 0 August 30th 03 02:11 AM
amd and linux Ben General 5 July 17th 03 11:03 PM